Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric lift maintence ? " JB Welded"

MPH

Seeing how I have it out of the tractor is there any recomended maintence I should do to it. Anything that need lub'in? Haven't taken it apart at all yet. Got the electric lift torn down tonight, cleaned out more really old grease and patched the hole rubbed in the gear case with JB weld. Think I'll go ahead and use grease in the gears and dry graffite on the tube. Plan on making this my lawn mower tractor so the grease should move alright.:) Supported the JB with a piece of stiff plastic lightly greased, hoping it won't stick.

My experiance w/ screw type lifts is make sure it's kept dry. If water gets into the balls in the screw mechanism it'll trash it. I don't know if the manual recomends something particular but I'd use a light oil lube after seeing your oil post's. I think grease would be too heavy that cold on the small motor.

I'm not at all fimiliar with these things but...Considering the location of those lifts, would something dry work better? Might be less apt to collect dust and dirt.

I think I'd try a dry spray silicone lube up there Marty. Ever since you showed us the "Oil Viscosity at -40" pics, I'm amazed you can get anything running without preheating it....

quote:
" running without preheating it.."
Has to be a life or death situation to make me push anything that hard Kirk.

I used Mobil 1 synthetic grease in my electric lift when I rebuilt it. It's supposed to be useable in low temperature applications.