Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Different

biggie_rat

A change of pace that isn't large frame orange. About a 28" wheel base and I photographed it against the Ratmoble bumper to show how short it is. I bought it just to examine how it steered (pivots in the middle), but it is kind of neat, so I may keep it. I have the original deck, too. Any ideas as to what make it is? I'm sure someone will guess it right away. No guesses, Sam. B.R.

Cool, looks like a litte golf cart ,First thing that came to mine was Cushmam scooter, Just a wild guess. Nice find anyway!!

That's pretty cool looking. If you have the cover off the center pivot I'd like to see some pics of that. Someday I want to build me center pivot snowblower to follow the curves of my driveway easier with.

There is one on eBay right now, says its an old Bolens. Looks like a neat little mower! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/old-bolens-riding-lawnmower-mower-antique-vintage_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46093QQitemZ4606994763QQrdZ1

Dave had one last year. He was trying very hard to get in into Robs tuck!!! If I remember right, the mower deck is front mounted. What I would do, is to put the biggest motor that you could get into it, and the biggest wheels you can get on it. That would be cool:D But I'm wierd like that!:o) Elon

quote:
Originally posted by AC808
RatMan....Thats kinda cool...dont know what Id do with it thuogh...It might be fun to drive around tractor shows...
YEAH WITH A BIG ENGINE AND BIG FAT TIRE!!!!!!!:D:o)}:) Elon

Yeah, it's a Bolens. The deck is front mounted similar to the zero turns of today. I couldn't put tires on much bigger than what's on it cuz when it turns (pivots) the front and rear tires are only about 6" apart. The Portland shows are so huge (especially the end of August show) that a person needs something like that to ride on. Of course, you can't see all of what the vendors have if you're on a rider. I haven't looked yet but I think it is a 7hp Tecumseh, maybe 5hp. I got it and one for Mack, home today, had a car delivered, had a tractor/tiller/blower picked up, a fellow from Minnesota pick up a blade. So I hadn't had time to look at this close. As far as a bigger engine, I do have a 2 cyl. vertical Briggs looking for a home, but the extra weight would warrant wheelie bars. The way it is now, I stepped on the rear hitch and the front wheels come off of the ground. I guess the deck is the counter balance and it looks like about a 32". If I do anything to it, it will have an electric start as I am allergic to pull starters. I will probably drain the oil and turn it over to see how it ticks, er........ steers. Martin, from what I did see it looks awfully light duty to add any modifications, but I will take pics and forward them, but that will give us an idea on how they did it and will just need to think how to heavy duty it up a lot and make a grown up version. B.R.

• 4 weeks later...
I got this out today and put it up on the lift. It's so short I can put it on the lift sideways and I think it is 4' wide. The only riding mower I have had lately that is light enough to manhandle around on the bench like a push mower. It has front brakes that the brake pads press against the flat diameter of the wheels. When the mower turns the front and rear wheels lack 2" of touching each other, forget the bigger tires. B.R.

Dont let your wife near it.Had one of those years ago,not long after we were married.She was mowing one day and stopped to do something else,she had left it in gear and turned to the left.Well she opened the throttle and pulled the rope.When I got home from work I heard all about it chasing her and her chasing it to stop it!She never went near it again.

that's the smaller of the Bolens crab steer mowers. I have a pair of them. They also made a bigger one that used a horizontal shaft engine maybe 7-8HP. I had one with a snowblower.

Bolens Estate Keepers. My son thinks they're neat because the bend like the big construction tractors. There is one of those in the slightly larger scale behind a house about 300yrds from our terminal that appeared about 6 months ago when the people tore their old garage down. Just sitting there. If it doesnt move when grass season starts I may have to inquire. They look fun to play with-