Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

should start tomorrow!!!!! update#2

ehertzfeld

I got the diesel in today. I'll get some diesel tomorrow and give it the old college try.:D I still have a lot to do, but I have to hear it run!:o) I'm a bit concerned about the angle of the flex disc, but I believe I can get a smaller oil pan. Looking through the manual this morning, all the pictures show a smaller pan. I'm thinking the one on mine, was an option, along with the remote oil filter. Speaking of the oil filter, I still have to figure out were to mount that. The engine mounts need to be cut and cleaned up as do the rubber under them. Presently, I can't close the hood, as the air cleaner and muffler are in the way. I plan on bringing them out side the hood. But I didn't want to start it with out them. If any one has any concerns that they think should be addressed, please let me know. Thanks:D [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/engine1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/engine2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/engine3.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/engine4.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/engine5.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/engine6.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/engine7.jpg[/img] Before I start building any parts of the loader, I have to beef up the front end a lot. I had to cut out the rear engine pan brace as well as a lot of the front. Once I know were the engine works in the tractor, I can start the plans for the beefing. Elon

Other then the flex plate looking like it has quite a wrap in it looking good Elon. Could you raise the hood hinge bolts enough to make the hood close and look good?

Looks great, Elon. Could you shim the front of the motor to decrease the angle on the flex plate? Give us some details on the motor!!! :-)

Does the back disc look as off as the front one? If not maybe you can raise the front(pto side) of the motor a little to straighten the flex disc out.

Marty, if you look at the first two pictures, you can see that I already had to rise the hood. The original holes for the hood are below the new ones. Elon

I do have some play with the motor mounts. I could tighten the rear bolts to squish the rubber more. I wasn't sure if that would be ok. But I guess with a full lubed engine, it shouldn't matter. Elon

Here's a thought, mount the oil filter above the steering control arm, it'll be outsice the hood but it'll be secure. if not then you could extend the hoses and make a bracket to put it near the air cleaner. As far as the hood issue goes, unless someone is on here with body shop experience there are a couple of places. Simply extend it out to just outside of the hood, takes nothing more than extending the pipe into the intake port and a small bracket to support the added weight. The muffler could go straight down instead of forward, or straight pipe it straight up. I would definitely shim the front side up to increase the angle of the motor, but I would also check the rear disc, if it has one, to make sure it;s not warped too. If nothing else beef the shaft up with u-joints, would work just as well and take out the need to watch the angle. After all, it's just a measure of how much time and money you want to invest. This is just me, but with a start like you have on it I would think it would be worth doing the whole thing up. My two cents, take it or leave it.

quote:
Originally posted by doogie_ac61358
Here's a thought, mount the oil filter above the steering control arm, it'll be outside the hood but it'll be secure. the air cleaner. As far as the hood issue goes, unless someone is on here with body shop experience there are a couple of places. Simply extend it out to just outside of the hood, takes nothing more than extending the pipe into the intake port and a small bracket to support the added weight. The muffler could go straight down instead of forward, or straight pipe it straight up.
I thought about mounting the oil filter there, but I think I would like it out of sight. If the pressure is enough, I was thinking of getting new longer lines made up and putting it inside the frame, under the fuel tank. I plan on taking the air cleaner and muffler to my boss's house. He had a very handy hand held band saw. I'm going to cut the flanges off and do like you said, extend the cleaner out side the hood. I'm planning the same for the muffler. I don't plan on using the one on it now. In my mine, a diesel has to have a stack!!! I just have to go look a some to decide which one I want. Elon

How 'bout putting a power bulge or scoop in the hood to clear the head? Then you could space the engine mounts up to align the drive shaft & coupling. Would look cool. :D That will be a great machine when you finish.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
How 'bout putting a power bulge or scoop in the hood to clear the head? Then you could space the engine mounts up to align the drive shaft & coupling. Would look cool. :D That will be a great machine when you finish.
I like your thinking but that would make the drive line even worse. The way it sits now, the engine is too high. Accually Rob came up with that idea before I even bought the engine. He sugested making a hinged hood top like on a few Allis tractors. Elon

Elon, I'm like you. I think you need a stack. As for the air cleaner, there are several options for air cleaners that would work good and not be so bulky. Like a small Donaldson or simular. As for the drive shaft and flex disc's, NO matter what the angle of deflection the angle of the output of the engine shaft and the angle of the input shaft need to be on a parrallel plane to let the disc's flex together. If they aren't vibration and harmonic distortion will lead to flex coupling failure. I think this alignment would be more crutial than just trying to relieve a little angle on one end.

HI, You might consider doing away with the flex plates and going to a driveline shop or even an ag supply shop and getting 2 regular U joints and some driveshaft material and making a driveshaft with conventional U joints, that would stand the misalignment. I fear you will have flex failures and from the ones I have seen the driveshaft usually gets severely bent and some thing that are the "BENDERS" get damaged also. Not trying to rain on your parade, but this might solve one possible problem. Lead ON! Looking good. Al Eden

Looks great Elon! Could double up the flexdisks if you are afraid of breaking them. I looked at trying to get a 2 cylinder into a 71x/701x frame and gave up becasue there just did not seem to be enough room with the front axle piviting up into the engine bay area, bracing, trying to keep the driveshaft from getting too high, fuel tank and batery clearance, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Elon, I'm like you. I think you need a stack. As for the air cleaner, there are several options for air cleaners that would work good and not be so bulky.
Dave, I think when you see the origanal air cleaner o the out side of the hood, you'll agree with me in keeping it. I think the size of it is sooo cool.:D Elon

Al, I'll look into the universals, but I think If I just order the smaller oil pan, that should solve the problem. With the smaller pan, I can lower the engine significantly, with out cutting any more of the frame. However, if the universals aren't too expensive, I mite got them made any way. "Bigger is always better!"}:) Elon

I may be way off base. But I would keep whatever oil capacity I could. Motor will run cooler. I would lean to cutting out pan between side rails and drop pan thru opening . You would of course have to stiffen what was left. BUT without actually having anything in front of me , it is easy for me to offer advice and not have to suffer thru my mistakes

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
I may be way off base. But I would keep whatever oil capacity I could. Motor will run cooler. I would lean to cutting out pan between side rails and drop pan thru opening . You would of course have to stiffen what was left. BUT without actually having anything in front of me , it is easy for me to offer advice and not have to suffer thru my mistakes
Ron, I have considered that point. That is why, even after learning that the pan is an option, I went ahead and mounted it. I also looked into cutting out the whole pan area. The main problem with that is the front end is right under the pan. I would have to lower that, or move it forward. If I lower the front end, it would bring the whole tractor front end up higher than the rear. I'm not sure that would be good for a loader. I also wasn't sure about moving it forward. My guess is the engineers put it there for a reason. They are a lot smarter than me:D This is only a trial run, so I'm sure there will be alteration in the future. I would like to thank everone for there thoughts/concerns, and info. Elon

The motor sets over pivot of front axle ? Or are you talking about struts that hold axle from coming back? I went and looked at 212JD front axle, it is massive and no struts holding it in place. Also frame has been made so motor(Kohler 12) sets very low. I forgot that this was going to be loader tractor. You can do just about anything you want with tracor as long as you do not want to put snowblower or mower deck on. Hubbard should be able to get you going. I would go with universal joints. They are plentiful.

If you look at the second picture, you can see that the whole front pivot is directly under the engine pan. I'll try to snap some pictures today. Elon

Well I managed to start it before the rain started. It runs just fine. It's a bit shaky at idle, but smooths right out with throttling up. I don't seem to rev up as much as I think it should. I didn't put any tack on it so it mite be right. It just doesnt seen to high. I'm not sure if the drive shaft/flex plates are going to be an issue or not, but this was just one test. I hope to get to play with it again soon. Sorry no new pictures at this point.:( Elon

;)Elon, ;)I'd give real thought to Al's idea. (8Dbut then I like all of his ideas and posts:D.) That sure seems a sure fire way to go. I was going to ask about just that same thing in other flex disc posts.

I got a few more things done n this project. I made the extenders for the exhaust and the air cleaner. I still have to trim the hood a bit. I think this is the look I was looking/hoping for.:D [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/33diesel1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/33diesel2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/33diesel3.jpg[/img] Elon

Elon, I like the looks of your air cleaner and exhaust stack. A chrome stack would be cool. What are those funny looking headlights? What happened to the four lamp side pods for lights? Cheers,

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Elon, I like the looks of your air cleaner and exhaust stack. A chrome stack would be cool. What are those funny looking headlights? What happened to the four lamp side pods for lights? Cheers,
When I got this it didn't have any. Now I have them but the blubs are dead. Seeing how it's going to be a loader, I plan on taking them off. Elon