Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Serious CO in snowcab problem: Fix?

Rich

I am brand new to this group and this is my first posting. I have a 6118 tractor with a snowcab and blower. I have found that the level of CO inside the cab is excessive. I've measured with a portable CO detector and have found a peak reading of 370ppm while riding up and down my driveway. Full throttle, no wind. The exhaust system is in good shape (had it off and inspected). The CO seems to enter through the openings at the bottom of the cab and where the lift lever passes through. I can't believe that I am the only one with this problem and I really don't want to believe that all cabs are death-traps. I removed the back panel of the cab and the CO reading dropped to 290ppm- still way too high. I further made an extension for the exhaust that puts the exhaust up a vertical pipe- much like a big-rig truck. The CO results were worse, anywhere from 450-530ppm. Is it possible that my engine is somehow generating excessive CO? Is there a extension that routes the exhaust far enough away from the cab? Has anyone else actually measured the CO levels in their cab? BTW, the Kidde battery powered CO detectors are only rated down to 40 degrees, so you need to make the measurements on a warm day. Any help would be appreciated.

there has to be something wrong. My landlord with cab has a tall stack and i hardly smell anything. Of course my cab inst quite right. it's from a old Sear suburban. It fits on the LL but I do have a lot of openings. Elon

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
there has to be something wrong. My landlord with cab has a tall stack and i hardly smell anything. Of course my cab inst quite right. it's from a old Sear suburban. It fits on the LL but I do have a lot of openings. Elon
Elon, If I remember right Carbon Monoxide is undetected by smell. Am I right or wrong, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.B)

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
Elon, If I remember right Carbon Monoxide is undetected by smell. Am I right or wrong, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.B)
Boy shows you how well I did in science class:D:D

quote:
Originally posted by slin
Sorry Rich; my reply came up under Glacier's thread. slin
Slin, Thanks I found your reply. The crankcase breather appears to be ok. The hose is connected and there are no breaks in it. What else could I check?

If you guys are close too or can tow your tractor to your local fire station (I would call or stop in first) they have meters that can give acurate readings in most weather conditions,

I had the same situation on my 6108/6118. I had a cab on it for only part of last winter...THe exhaust fumes were way to much for me...I didnt think of measuring the CO content inside the cab. I removed the cab, it made snow removal easier..

Interesting that another had an issue with a 6100 series machine with a cab. I wonder if there are others? I will post a new topic specifically aimed at the 6100 series.

My 6116 used to have that very same exhaust problem. As it turned out, there was a muffler extention that deflected the exhaust out the right side just behind the hood upright, instead of straight down. It was there once, but had rusted away before I bought the tractor.

My 6118 was also missing that muffer exhaust extension- rusted away too. I replaced it but still have excessive CO in the cab.