Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

D/A 1920 loose steering?

SteveP

My 1920 power steering is really loose. I have to keep after the steering wheel to keep it in a straight line. Haven't been able to figure out if there is worn front end parts or if it's in the power steering itself. The Hyd ram leaks some. Would really like to get it tighten up before mowing seaseon gets here. Thanks Steve.

While this is most likely not your problem, my DA 1920 has a spacer missing on the ball joint assy. And the steering is all over the place. This is how I got the tractor and since I just bought a spare DA1920 for parts I noticed the missing part and since downloaded parts manual and have just ordered the $4.00 part from dealer. It's been 2 weeks and hope to get it soon. SEPW quoted me about $78.00 for the complete ball joint assy(part # 1685323) This includes item 17,20,27,28 &30. Good Luck Mark G. (Deutz1920)

Check the steering arm to spindle assembly on the left front it has a tendancy to loosen up. This will also make it wander.

Hi. Your cylinder leak can contribute to the problem. There is NO mechanical linkage to the steering. Only the hydraulic cylinder. It is controlled by the steering wheel valve setup. Any leaks in the system creates a problem. This is why your can't steer it without hydraulic power. Al Eden