Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 6100 Series: Snowcab CO prob?

Rich

I've posted a topic recently regarding high levels of CO in the snowcab on my 6118 tractor. It appears that at least one other 6100 series owner had the same problem. Are there others? If you have a 6100 series with a snowcab please post your experience either good or bad. My 6118 has a B&S vertical twin with the muffler under the front of the engine and the exhaust exiting from a rectangular pipe to the righthand side of the tractor. Some of the lower horsepower 6100's had a different engine and exhaust. Please include what you have.

I've had several 6116 and 6216 tractors which should be the same as yours just 16HP instead of 18HP. I've only mowed with mine so didn't have a cab on but when mowing it ocassionally seemed like exhaust gases were coming back towards me. I think with the exhaust coming out the bottom it's hot and wants to rise but gets caught under the tractor frame and moves up under the tractor then gets caught by your cab. Can you try to add some kind of extension to your muffler to get the exhaust out to the side of the tractor or out in front of the grill?

If you look at my origial posting you will see a lot of detail of what I did and the CO measurements that I obtained. In short, I did extend the muffler to a vertical stack but the results seemed to be worse than the original configuration.

Yes, I considered that but with all the running gear, belts, etc underneath I thought that a vertical stack would be better. Also since the snowblower mode has me going forward and then backing up many times I figured that I would be better off blowing the exhaust up high vs. down low where I would "run over" the exhaust clouds when backing up. I can't help thinking that there is something else "missing" in this setup. When in the cab I can feel warm air coming into the cab and I think that some of this air must be exhaust. It doesn't appear practical to try to seal up the bottom of the cab, but if I could just stop the fumes from coming in I think I would be OK.

I might be way off base here,But I think you might want to pull the head off your engine to check your head gasket.Or at least check to make sure you do not have a loose head bolt or two.I pulled the engine out of my 7016 this summer to remove the shroud and give it a good cleaning and noticed one of the head bolts was not tight.Turns out who ever over hauled it before I bought did not put the bolts in the right holes.There should of been a short bolt in that hole.Never noticed it leaking cause it was under the shroud,but the gasket was black in that area.Replaced the gasket and put the bolts in the right holes.

Good tip. Perhaps I will run a compression check first to see if any leaks appear. There are of course two cylinder heads. Not being familiar with the 7016, does it have the B&S twin?

No its a single,thought about that after I made the post.But,if one of your head gaskets are leaking,it would be a source of fumes or gases under the hood.