Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sprucing up a sunstar

lndscpr

I am looking at a sunstar tractor and may buy it. I like the size and power etc.. but am not crazy about the looks (SORRY SUNSTAR OWNERS). I am mainly not impressed by the rear fenders. too square. I am not that concerned about looks but will want to spruce it up if i get it. I felt this way at first about the 7100's i own but have come to love them. I am wondering what can be done to make the sunstars look a little better. I think ags and wheel weights will help. what else helps. I would love to see pics of what some of the sunstar owners have done with attachments and modifications to there tractor that are practical or just for looks. I am planning to use a johnny bucket on it and do some backfilling and leveling on my lot. John

I have had my Sunstar since new in '87. It has done alot of good work and I love it. I never noticed how square the back fenders are, just how good a unit it is and how it (almost) never lets me down. Let us know what you decide...I love those refurbished old units. Man, I wish I knew how to paint like the folks here do.

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
You can fill up that fender space with 26" tires, but only if you have the 60" deck. I like the look of mine.
dont be offended. Right now the looks don't appeal to me but i will probably get used to it. i used to hate the 7100's and now i own 2.

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
This is sexy.Paint it Green. Front Hydraulics and Powerblade, Ags and wheel weights.
Front hydraulics as in power steering right? That's what my wife likes and that gives me dibs to find another, or add power steering to my 7116.:D:D

As far as looks go IMO, all you need to do is extend the top of hood to more forward then the bottom and it be a good looking tractor.

John any details on the particular machine you are looking at? What attachments does it have what HP , hours what are they looking for$$ for the tractor. If you can come by it for the right price then it all depends on what you intend to do with the machine.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
As far as looks go IMO, all you need to do is extend the top of hood to more forward then the bottom and it be a good looking tractor.
Then I suppose, you'd want to remove those sexy running boards.;);)

i heard of one locally and have not seen it yet. plus one i know of down in ct i am trying to contact the owner of. saw pics of that one. A later model i think has power steering. If either of these dont pan out i am going to save my money and keep looking. I want to use it with a johnnybucket for backfilling and moving dirt. 2/3 of my property is a big slope and i plan to so some retaining and terracing. nothing too big. Also i will need to move mulch and sand. also i am always pulling heavy loads(loaded landscape trailer, boat, piles of rock, firewood) up the hill and more hp would be good. will the locking differential help here. i dont have the johnny bucket yet. i may end up just putting a brand new johnny bucket on one of the 7100s. it would do the job but i am trying do make out a little better. or cheaper if i just locate a used jb.

The diff. lock will definately help in poor traction conditions, I use mine a lot. These are hard working tough tractors.

This one has the 26" tires on it.

I've had the 1920 since new in 92, the Sunstar and loader I picked up seperately and put together in 04. We work them both pretty hard and have never been dissapointed.

john how is that loader powerd, does it have a seperate pto driven pump or does it run off the tractor hydrolics? Did you buy the loader used?

I love the look of my sunstar... the only thing that could make it look better in the garage... is another sunstar next to my sunstar...

quote:
Originally posted by roma3112
john how is that loader powerd, does it have a seperate pto driven pump or does it run off the tractor hydrolics? Did you buy the loader used?
Totaly separate system, driven off the front PTO. I did buy it used, searched for nearly 3 years with no luck. Drove 800 miles round trip to buy a 916 w/loader from Sam. Got home, checked my e-mail and had a message from a guy right here in michigan with a like new loader to sell me. So I bought it, found a Sunatar on ebay, and sold the 916.

guys, thank you for the pics and the information. I really like what you have done with your machines and i hope one to find one. I think the locking rear differential and more power would be big for me. I am pretty sure that i am not getting one of the tractors i was looking at and the other i am very unsure about right now. I will need to keep looking.