Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

700 hood clearance

Chris727

Hi. I am planning on restoring my Simplicity 700 sometime this year but I really don't know what to do about the hood to steering wheel clearance. It always hits the wheel wether the it is forwards or backwards, I don't want to scratch new paint. I know this probelm was corrected on the 725s when they went to a longer steering column. I might be getting a B-1 for parts and could use its longer column but I hate to put something on that is not original. I know others such as Dave C. have restored 700's and I'd like to know how they keep from scratching their hoods. Thanks in advance. Chris

If you want your tractor to be original then you have no option but to keep the "Short Shaft" steering column. One thing you might try is to lay a piece of cloth or leather on the hood before you open it, that way if the hood does bump the steering wheel there will be a bit of padding between them. It's kind of like the old trick of wrapping the pipe for the shower head with an old belt before you put the pipe wrench to it so you don't scratch the chrome finish...

Easy don't tighten the set screw on the steering wheel and just take it off when you want to open the hood. I have been doing that for quite a while on my wonderboy 700 if nothing else put a thumb screw instead of the set screw.Bob