Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vickers hydrostat project (updated 2/24/2006)

MDB

A few weeks ago I got brave enough to tear into the hydrostat unit that was originally on my HB112. When I got the HB the hydrostat was leaking about a pencil lead size stream around the pintle shaft.

Hear is the unit disassembled

Rebushed housing that I got from SandyLake Implement, thanks Brenda.

Some parts that I won on Ebay, including two almost complete Vickers seal kits and one brand new pintle shaft:D First thing that i did before putting this thing back together was buy this manual, it has a pretty good section on Vickers repair

I used Copper Coat on all surfaces as a sealant

Pump housing, swash plate and pintle shafts ready to install.

Above parts installed in pump housing.

Pump rotating group

Pump rotating group installed in pump housing

Transfer block bolted to pump housing, O rings are installed and Copper Coat sprayed on prior to assembly, rusty looking stuff on surface is Copper Coat.

Unit reassembled, ready to install on tractor and see if works and does not leak....

Sorry that this series is not complete, got so into putting this thing back together that in forgot to take some of the pics. that I wanted to.....:I

It takes a brave man to pull a hydro apart the first time. Hope all works out well and you cure the problem. By the way, while you have it apart, why not figure out how to hook a hydrolift to the charge pump on one of those. Several people who would probably like to do that.:D:D:D

"It takes a brave man to pull a hydro apart the first time." Ditto. Maybe you will become our in-house Vickers expert. Please keep us updated on this project.

Thats the kits I was bidding on.LOL Oh well didnt need them know anyway.Changed projects.At lease a club member got them.

Temporarally stalled on project while doing projects outside in the springlike weather....Will get back to it this coming week:)

quote:
Originally posted by richp
Mike, what are the bushings made of? bronze?
Rich, The new bushings are made of steel, It is my understanding that oil under preasure will seep through brass bushings.

The Vickers rep. I talked to said using a needle bearing would be a good idea. All the industrial variable displacment pumps use a needle nearing and a seal. He was surprised that there was no bearing there. He admitted that he has limited knowledge of Vickers stuff used in outdoor equipment.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like you did a good job Mike,If your weather forcast is anything like mine you should have that back together in no time! Highs in the twentys for the week ahead here in Ma. :(:(

You can also download it from the Simplicity Tech pub V site. [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php[/url] There is also a manual just on the Simplicity Vickers transmission

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
" Copper Coat is good stuff." OK guys, this is new to me. What is it and what are its applications please?
Copper coating is a spray on gasket sealer w/ granulated copper ground into it. The copper forms a harder bonding agent than regular silicon based adheasives and conducts the heat a lot better. I use it a lot on older style head gaskets and such. Most newer style head gaskets come with a bonding type substance already on them so I don't need it there. But some older applications it still get used. You hang the gasket from a coat hanger or simular, and spray this on it till it's coated evenly. Wait for it to partially dry to a tacky paint like stickyness and apply the gasket to the metal and compress. It's like permatex for head gaskets. I also use it some on transmision pan gaskets so they don't sqeeze out as easy.

Copper Coat is also good for thermostat housings, valve cover gaskets, etc. I prefer it in the can with an applicator but finding it in that form is difficult these days. Works similar to a contact or rubber cement.