Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-1

bubbanotail

I have a B-1 that has a problem after running for a while. I have less tahn a 1/4 acre lot, I can cut the front yard and 1/4 th of the back until it acts like its starving for fuel. It will run fine on idle speed. Have to shut off for hour or so before it runs right. Doesnt matter really if its 70 degrees or 90 out side. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the club!!! Could be a variety of things from fuel to coil. Use the search function on the site and you will find many posts with the same problems... and excellent solutions.

It has the glass bowl type filter which I have cleaned out, and I have cleaned out the gas tank. I have not messed with the carb yet. And what it does is it revs up and down until you put the throttle back down less than half.

My B-1 had that problem. Turns out it was excess camshaft end play which caused erratic point operation. I solved the problem by going to an electronic ignition module that does not use the points to fire the coil. Al Eden put me onto the cause of the problem.

Is the gas line too close to the muffler. You could have vapor lock. put in a longer gas line and move it away from the muffler. I had this problem on a b10. it had a brand new filter and line but ha similar problem. I put in a longer line and moved it away from the muffler and the problem went away.

Also, check to be sure that the cooling fins inside the engine shroud are not clogged with grass. This can cause the engine to heat up from lack of cooling air. As the engine gets hotter, it will run leaner, which can also cause a surge condition. Mice like to build homes inside tractor engines. I recently rebuilt one that had the fins totally clogged on the side toward the flywheel. It was filled with a mixture of dirt, grass clippings, and engine oil. Had to scrape the goo off the fins then clean with kerosene. You didn't mention whether you had tried adjusting the carburator when it gets into this condition. Does making the carburator richer affect the engine in any way? It should help, unless it is a fuel flow problem between the tank and carb.

I have not touched the carb at all. When it first starts reving you can choke it a little and it will run normal but only for a few moments. Once it really gets going, it doesnt matter.

quote:
Originally posted by bubbanotail
I have not touched the carb at all. When it first starts reving you can choke it a little and it will run normal but only for a few moments. Once it really gets going, it doesnt matter.
With you saying that, I would vote for a carb problem. Take the carb off and check it over. Rebuild kits are available. Elon