Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Green Belts"/ Drive Belts..........

LesH

I know that the "green" belts are the best for drive belts on garden tractors and that the dealer always has the correct belt, but, has anyone had any good luck with anything other than "green" belts or belts from other sources?? Always helps to know other sources or brand names. Thanks.

Factory belts are best, Gates makes the majority of oem belts but you have to dig deep in gates numbers to get the excact correct belt. Dayco makes real good belts also. Keep in mind a lot of oem belts are made w/ odd lengths so aftermarket belts don't always work properly. Also most special applications on these tractors have odd turns and twists and are made with certain cord winding combinations to accomadate this so again, aftermarket belts often cannot provide oem performance and durrability.

I have used a Dayco belt on my 48" mower deck for the 5 years and one on a 36 " tiller for a couple of years with no problems at all. The only place that I have seen the OEM belts make a difference are on the snowblowers that the belts turn a 90 degree angle like on the HB212`s, ect.

I use the greeen Gates belts for drive belts. I would recommend factory belts for mowers and other implements. The green belts are not flexible enough to run on the implements. Factory belts are designed for the specific applications, where an aftermarket belt is not, unless you have a correct cross-referenced part number. Placement of the reinforcement cords and the flexibility of the rubber are critical to prolonged usage. A belt that is too stiff will tear itself apart in a short time. I tried a green Gates belt on a mower. Mowed the lawn twice and it came apart. I won't go into it now, but I have made a couple of changes to the mower drive that lets me run aftermarket belts without a problem. 3 years so far on an aftermarket belt.

When I bought my 2110 last year, I ran it for a couple of weeks until the drive belt burnt off while plowing the neighbours driveway. Somehow it jumped off the drive pully and jamed itself and almost sawed it in half. It was a genuine Simp belt. I immediately tried tracking down an OEM replacement. The nearest dealer was 2 hour drive away and wanted $60CAN for an original OEM repacement (and 2-3 weeks delivery time). The gentleman on the phone warned me that by using a non OEM belt, Simplicity would not and could not be held responsible for any 'damage' that WIlL occur from using an aftermarket replacement. When I informed him the tractor was almost 40 years old and that I was positive Simplicity wouldn't cover any damage on a unit that old anyway, I thanked him for his time. I found a rubber wholesaler that deals with the public through the 'back door' of the business. I bought 2 red Gates drive belts for $18CAN, and I think the starter/genny red belt was 6 bucks. I installed one of the drive belts last February and have had zero problems. As a matter of fact, I plowed and blew all last winter, mowed all summer and have been blowing and plowing this winter and the red belt is holding up like a champ. Virtually no visable signs of wear and the belt hasn't worn into the pullies at all. I bought a red drive belt for the mower, which has signs of wear, but with all the use it gets, it's a small price to pay. I'm certain I can get another mowing season out of it before it needs replacing. All this to say, I'm a firm believer in red Gates belts. I realize the green ones have a stronger internal core and are designed for 3 pully operations (ideler pully), but they are subtanially more money. Right now I powering my beast with a 9 dollar belt.....can't get better than that. Dan

I always use OEM on the deck's and implements and box store belts for a drive belt. So far, i'm 10 years into one box store drive belt and aside from side wear the belt is holding up great with no slipping. IMHO you get your moneys worth out of the belts designed for a specific purpose but for a strait run belt I buy the Gates equivalent for half the price. I wouldnt dream of using A gates on my little serf mower deck because it's 117.5 inches long and it's the only belt from the engine pulley to the two pto pulleys through the belt guard to both blade spindles. I cant see using a less flexible belt for this particular application.

As a former employee of a "power transmission supplier" (belts and bearings and such), I know that most times the "green" belts are made with kevlar for the cord material. Most of the other belts use polyester for the cord material. As we all know, kevlar is one of the strongest materials around. Any twisting of the belt is very hard on the belt as it develops more heat internally than normal. Heat is the enemy of anything mechanical. The kevlar will withstand this extra heat. We sold two major brands of belts and had access to 4 or 5 others. In my experience all the belts we sold were within a hairs fraction of being equal quality. Kind of like buying a Ford or a Chevy, it's what ever you get used to. If anybody is interested, a trip to your local bearing store will net you a catalog from Browning Manufacturing. There is a section in the catalog all about belts. It is very in depth and quite technical, but packed full of neat stuff. Here is the web address; http://www.emerson-ept.com/eptroot/public/prod/dynamic_frame.asp?strMain=http%3A//www.emerson-ept.com/EPTroot/Public/bnames/browning/Browning.htm There are many other items in the catalog that might also be of use, like angle drive gear boxes, couplings and other drive components. Ken