Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 720 Question...Where am I going wrong?...

mj

Hi All, I’m going thru an AC 720 that in the beginning didn’t look too bad but as it turns out there have been a lot of missing parts and modifications made-for the most part I’ve sorted them out except for this one. My copy of an original 720 parts book on page 18 shows a neutral safety switch (part # 2029664) and that is attached to a bracket (part#2087583) and it attaches on the right side of hydro pump motor. The new wiring harness I have has a lead to go to this switch, my problem is this tractor didn’t have the switch, nor is the bracket even there. Also wiring on this tractor was nonexistent so I can’t refer to that. I’ve seen these switches bypassed before but hard to believe someone went to the trouble of removing the bracket since it’s hard to get to. Were there some 720’s made without this type of switch? Or….up by the forward/reverse lever there is a switch on mine there that engages when in neutral position, I thought this was my neutral safety switch but I can’t find any reference whatsoever in my books for that switch. Is this as simple as a different neutral safety switch setup that isn’t in the books I have? Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated, I’m stumped! Thanks much….

Early models had the switch mounted on the bracket by the hydro. Late models have it located where yours is on the side. Reroute the wires up to it and you'll be good to go. The book probably wasn't updated to show the change on the drawing.

You guys always come through and I can't begin to tell you how much your help is appreciated. Some of this stuff I could guess at but with excellent help like this I hate to guess! I'm kind of old fashioned in that I like to put it back the way it was originally-gives you the exact feel of a brand new AC tractor...but I do have a 9 year old and he most likely will be spending more time on it than I will so the safety comes first...Thanks again!

Welcome to my world. Spent a lot of time finding manuals and such, just to learn the previous owners did a lot of their own "custom work". My 720 has limited wiring, a piece meal Onan replacement engine, and lots of other unique features. BUT it's mine and it has a front end loader and it keeps me in the garage ;-)