Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Chains (censored)

Roy

Got a set of chains from Joes Outdoor Power on E-bay. Supposed to be for 23 x 10.50 x 12 tires. There are 19 cross links. To fit the them tightly on my tires the latch wants to be in the same link as the 19th cross link (loose fit) or the first link past the 18th link (good fit). Removing the 19th cross link to make chains fit tightly leaves a four link gap whereas the rest of the chains are two link (cross link every two links). This brings up some questions. ? How many cross links are normally on chains for a 23 x 10.50 x 12 tire? Anyone else run into this problem? What is the normal/expected gap for cross links at the latch link location? Is this why I see chains installed with bungee cords on the outside of the chains to keep them tight? Anyone have suggestions/recommendations to remedy the problem? Also, all the chain size charts I looked at said the same chain would fit a 23 x 10.50 x 12 and a 23 x 9.50 x 12. There is no way these chains will fit my 23 x 9.50 x 12's unless I remove two cross links. Then they will be too small/short for the 23 x 10.50 x 12's. My plan was to put the chains on the 9.50's and switch tires/wheels when I want to run chains but I hate to shorten them and be unable to use them on the 10.50's if desired. :( On the other hand the 9.50's with chains will leave more clearance for the hydro filter which is desirable. Need to resolve this soon as is snow predicted for tomorrow and next week. Thanks,

Roy, The gap occurring is not unusual. Usually when we get chains we have to cut them off to matck the tire. The smaller tires usually require the romoval of cross chains. The narrower the tire, the shorter the side chains. Often the chains will be a little loose and for car and truck chains they make rubbber tighteners with 5 hooks on a big rubber band. the same type of thing is desireable on garden tractors. Normally on large farm tractors they try to leave the chains a little loose. The pull better and the leverage on the cross chains is reduced. To have them fit 2 sizes of tire is not commonly a possibility. Even the same size tires but different brands may require a different amount of shortening. Brand to brand tires may have a 2" difference in the OD on the same size. This why we always have to try to match the brand and tread. Sometimes the same brand, different tread will be as much as 2" different diameter for the same size tire. Not matching makes for tractors that need to go around the hills the same way everytime. Al Eden

To tighten my chains I always let the air outta the tires, put the chains on tight then reinflate. Works great, no bungy cords that lose there bungy in the cold needed.:)

Marty, that is a good idea that I never thought of. My $10 paid off again! Dan aka IronPony in NE - Now serving FEMA in the Dallas, TX area.

like Al said: The same size tires may not even be the same size actually, different section widths, tread widths and diameters are common. Pick which set of tires you want the chains on and fit them, I think I would pick the 9.50's. If you have to cut or open up the unused cross link and reinstall on the chains to close up the gap, done this myself. Marty, Tried that but I prefered them flop a little. With them really tight I just seemed to spin over the chain.?? I'm talking on ice not snow.

Roy, I bought one new fitted set from TSC but they were loose on the matched tire size. I went back to TSC and bought a set of those 4pt spring tensioners for $6 and all is good. Marty, great idea -

Marty, Deflating the tires before putting chains on is the easiest way, been doing it that way for several years. Roy, Couldn't help noticing that this is a

post....[:0] Putting on chains can get that way.....:D

Roy If you install the chains on the smaller tires. Remove the extra cross chains that are not needed. Do not cut the excess side chain off. Turn the extra links of the side chains back and fasten them with heavy duty wire ties. Then when you want to put the tire chains on a larger set of tires you just have to replace the cross chains as needed. Just takes a little Yankee ingenuity, something that might be lacking in your area. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ 8D

"something that might be lacking in your area." Maynard, just remember that payback is H***. :D I appreciate the quick response from everyone. Today I will put the chains on the un-inflated 9.50's with two cross links removed. I want to avoid using chain tighteners (springs or bungee cords) if possible. If the air in your area turns blue it's not due to cold weather. It will be due to my censored comments while fighting the chains. :) Maybe two link chains are more difficult to put on but I don't remember as many problems putting the the four link chains on my B-1 a long time ago. :( Thanks to all,

Roy, Did I read that correctly? Snow in Tennessee? That couldn't be correct. Don't even know why you would need a blade down there. It is hard to plow half a dozen flakes.

Rod, The secret to no snow in Tennessee is to be prepared. Then it will not snow! This has worked for the past several years. :D We had a light dusting that turned the grass white but none on the streets. When I tried the dozer blade on the Sovereign it had absolutely no traction with only the stock turf tires. Hence the need for chains. The B-1 & 725 have good traction with fluid and chains. Front blade and rear box scraper are good for leveling the yard and garden. lb59, Free chains are hard to come by in East Tennessee.

I made 3 sets of chains from car chains someone gave me. Put the first set on 40 years ago. Have the last set on the tractor now. A 40 year supply of free chains ;not bad.

I've always deflated and re-inflated the tires, and I just use some old plastic baling twine and lace a star pattern over the wieghts. Always ends up nice and tight.