Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trailer Question

dbf

My buddy just gave me an old utility trailer. It is 7 feet long, 3.5 feet wide and 1 foot sides. The frame is a solid square tube frame sitting on 2 leaf springs on a solid axle with 15 inch wheels. It has a 1 7/8 ball hitch with a rather long tongue. I put an old ball on the tractor I had lying around the garage and drove around the neibourhood this afternoon. The old girl had no problems hauling the weight, even though it is full of wet snow. My question is, is this too much trailer for a old Landlord? I really don't have any plans on piulling very much weight, and I'm not sure if the tractor could handle 3-400 pounds. I imagine the rear hitch wasn't desined for that kind of poundage. Anybody ever pulled a wagon of that size before? Should I just go for one of those ATV carts with 8-10 cubic foot boxes? Dan

You shouldn't have any trouble pulling that size wagon around. I've put 6x10 trailers behind miy 212 loaded with wood and as long as I kept a little tounge weight on the hitch it would pull it. You won't bother the hitch as far as weight is concerned. You'll pull the front end up off the ground before you bother the rear hitch. That might be a little much on the axle tubes though.

i dont know what the limits are you arent close. I have pulled my fully loadered landscape trailer up the hill in my backyard frequently with an old b10. This is a 12 foot trailer. the mower weighs round 600. It doesnt even grunt. I think the thing to be carefull about is flipping the tractor not breaking the hitch.

I have a front mounted hitch on a WheelHorse that's pulled enclosed 18 foot trailers, trucks and cars around my yard with no troubles at all. As long as the load is balanced and you have traction you should be fine. But beware......BRAKES on these larger framed machines will not stop a 1200+ lb trailer from going where it wants if it so chooses. And I may be speaking from experience but i'll NEVER TELL!!!!!!! hehe. On another note.....my little broadmoor pulls engines around on a utility trailer and I know most of those engines far out weigh the amount you are concerned about pulling and i'm doing that with a small articulated framed simp with a 7hp vertical shaft briggs. No worries......pull it till something breaks then just ask us and we'll help you fix it...lol.

I have a 4X8 utility trailer i use for everything,pull it with a 6hp. broadmoor and my 725,as Zippo points out ,its the brakes that you have to consider.

Here is my HB-116 pulling a 5'6" wide by 10' long trailer it had 8 people avg. over 200 lbs. that was over 1600 lbs. plus the weight of the trailer tractor and my self each up some good size hills during parades

Here is the 6'4" wide by 14' long trailer it pulled in last years parades up the same hills with 16 people over 200 lbs. each. That was over 3200 lbs. the trailer 900 lbs plus myself 240 lbs and tractor over 800 lbs. thats 5140 lbs. so I don't think you will have a problem.

when I was a kid we made our own dry well septic system We would fill a 6 + 8 trailer with 30 inch sides full of stone.Someone had to sit on the hood on the wonderboy 700 so we could steer it never did break the axel tubes but did wear out the trans. Was a nice tractor thats why I have 3 of them now.Bob.

I have pulled my tandem axle flatbed trailer with my son's Mustang GT on it with my tractors. Had to put some weight on the front of the tractor to keep the wheels on the ground, but the tractor had no problem with the load. Also ran the 61 Wards(Simp 700) at tractor pulls off-and-on for nearly 20 years. The sled that we pulled weighs 8500 pounds, and it completely stops the forward motion of the tractor every time. No major damage to the tractor after all of that.