Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tire size ?

dewayne

I now read where a lot of you members run 26x12x12 tires. I'm one more for power than I am for speed. Do you not loose a lot of power with 26's verses 23's. but I do like the looks of the tractors with 26's. I do want to go to a wider tire or duels because of steep banls in my yard and neighborhood and need traction dear woods. dewayne

First gear or a hydro will get you all the power you need even with the 26" tires. The 26" will effect your ground speed. So if you have an application like rototilling, your ground speed in first gear may be too high.

Power is about traction. The big tires coupled with weight will allow you to go places that you can't without resorting to body language

The difference in the diameters will give a 13% increase in top speed. You probably won't notice the difference. I've had the 26x12x12 tires on both my 713S and my 716H. With the shuttle, I notice a little more speed, but don't seem to be lacking in power. With the hydro I just set it at whatever speed and power I need, but it is faster with the hydro fully open. The stability and traction are definitely worth the small loss of power. I actually only have a 10 Hp engine on my 716H, at the moment. This is the one I have the large tires on now. I can tell a little difference in power, but not enough to give up the tires.

Thanks for the imformation guys. I'm leaning to yhe bigger tires, but also considering duel adapters with 23x8.50x12 tires on the outside. So I'm looking some used 26x12x12 tires and wheels or some duel adapters and some 23x8.50x12wheels and tires. _____________________________________________________________________ dewayne