Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Does this look ok?

dcw06

Decided the other day to pull the engine from the 6216. It was pretty tired, and I dont think it would of made it another summer.

My neighbor has an MTD with a 18 horse that the engine is still good, but the tractor is worn out. I told him I would buy it from him and he said he would think about it. That was 3 months ago, guess he is still thinking about it. So for now I decide to use the engine from my father in laws old Craftsman. It runs perfect, but its only a 14 horse.

It was a easy swap, but neither muffler would work. I thought about making my own setup and going with a vertical stack, then changed my mind. If I did get the 18 horse, I would have to do it all over again. So I bought two singles with the idea of coming out under the front of the hood at an angle. Not enough room with the tires turned and the snow blower bracket. So I took the easy way out.

as long as you like it, who cares what we think!lol The only thing I can see is that you mite get some fumes in you face, but other than that, looks good to me. Elon

If that paint is as good as it looks in the picture, I'd make sure they are not exhausting on it. Could damage the grill as well if it is good. Just the way it looks from here. Nice work though!

Not to be a vulture ...but let me know how the muffler and extention are on your origonal motor - If your willing to part out, I might need other parts too ..New mufflers look good to a owner of a 6218 - Let us now about the fumes - I know a new stock muffler is pricey(to me)and one of my tractors does not have the extention on it and exhausts down/forward - does not effect the paint and does not bother me as long as I'm moving - Chris

Only down side I see is turning the inside of hood black if you have it open, running and tuning it up or anything, which shouldn't be enough time to really hurt anything. Cleaning up the hood for the 3314 last nite I washed a lot of black outta the inside. Simple Green worked well

quote:
"has the loss of 2HP made much of adifference?"
I dont know,without any snow to blow or grass to cut,I dont have any way to test it.I can engage the blower at an idle,the old engine had to be reved up.
quote:
"Not to be a vulture ...but let me know how the muffler and extention are on your origonal motor - If your willing to part out, I might need other parts too ..New mufflers look good to a owner of a 6218 - Let us now about the fumes - I know a new stock muffler is pricey(to me)and one of my tractors does not have the extention on it and exhausts down/forward - does not effect the paint and does not bother me as long as I'm moving - Chris"
I'm pretty sure it is ok and I dont mind parting it out.
quote:
"Seen a couple of engines on ebay lately like that. Might check there."
I saw them too. But I have serviced this one for him since it was new and the price was right.
quote:
"If that paint is as good as it looks in the picture, I'd make sure they are not exhausting on it. Could damage the grill as well if it is good. Just the way it looks from here."
Not a good pic.The bottom of the muffler is about a 1/2 inch higher than the bottom of the grille opening.
quote:
"Looks good too me, nice engine swap you did there."
Thanks.
quote:
"as long as you like it, who cares what we think!lol The only thing I can see is that you mite get some fumes in you face, but other than that, looks good to me."
We have a (MTD)Troy Build and this Sears,both exhaust out the front,only lower by the axle with out the fumes.So hopefully it'll be ok.

Too bad we cannot post sound tracks along with photos. :(! I would to hear how a twin sounds with the little single cylinder mufflers. 8D