Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy Loaders

Michael A

Michael, I don;t think so. I can check if you are seriously interested. The first problem is the new tractor has a 4.5 gpm pump to operate hydraulic attachments. The older loaders had their own hydraulic systems, pump and reservior. The XL has a longer frame and the PTO for attachments comes forward out of the rear end. There is no crankshaft on the pto of the engine. With no provision for and electric clutch, no drive for loader pump and no tank for the pump. One other thing the electric clutch is inside the transaxle and runs in oil. In reality it is almost a totally new tractor. Mowers etc are not interchangeable. Al Eden

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a kwic-way (?) loader for my '94 Legacy last fall off Ebay. The guy I bought it from went from Norther Pa. to MO after he bought it off Ebay. When he got it home, he realized it would not fit the XL. He said he ended up almost even, though. I love the loader. I went right out an got it stuck in the first 10" snow we had this fall, even with chains. My Legacy is only 2wd. I have made weight brackets for the rear and am using sand until I can come up with some suitecase weights. The larger tractor suitcase weights are hard to come by as the "pullers" scoff 'em up. Last I saw, an Ebayer has 4 IH 110 pounders and wanted $350 to open the auction. They did not sell. 50 Cents a pound is reasonable. Al Eden is the most knowledgable guy I have ever had the privilege of reading about small tractors, engines and related stuff. He is amazing and what a resource that wants to share that brain trust. In business we call that "intelectual capitol." This is a fantastic site with "real" folks doin' "real" stuff. I love it.

I used to work in a foundry and we made JD and CaseIH 100 and 110 lbs suitcase weights by the thousands. We even made the smaller JD suitcase weights for garden tractors. I think they were 30-40 lbs. I never got any but I know several other guys found some in the back of their trucks when they went home.

Larry, I have a loader on my Sunstar, and didn't want the hassell of extending the rear for clearance reasons. (my wife backs into things). So I loaded the tires, and hung wheel weights, to the tune of about 190# per side and it works real well.

John, My Legacy back tires are loaded. I wonder how much they weigh with fluid? Wheel weights were a consideration, but I didn't think I could get enough weight without damaging the wheels. I was thinkin' I prolly need between 300 and 500 pounds. Maybe that's little crazy. The sand I have on there now has done quite alot for the traction I need. I was pushin' around some very large oak that I had cut for firewood, 4+' diameter in about 4" of snow and mud and the loader was workin' much better. Now its all piled where I can get my splitter. Hopefully, with the three day weekend comin' up I can get a half years worth of wood in the barn. Woo Hoo

I have no idea what the Legacy weighs, but it sure looks heavier than the Sunstar. My tires are 23 x 12 x 12 are loaded with w/w fluid, and as I recall weigh in at 90#, with 4 sets of 25# weights for 190# each side. That seems to be enough counter weight for as much as that loader will lift. [img]/club2/attach/comet66/resized%20%284%29.JPG[/img]