Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clutching a hydro

richp

For years i have been mowing with a hydro trans. I never use the clutch, I would do everything from the lever and would never even push the clutch pedal down. Is this the way most people run these? The reason I ask is when plowing with my 3 speed variable, I use the clutch quite a lot, but when using the hydro's clutch, it doesn't slip as much. Any thoughts?

I noticed that it is quieter and smoother just to run lever. In fact when my son-in-law used clutch,it stuck in several states of engagement.

I also rarely use the clutch/brake, just pause in nuetral a second to go from foward to reverse and it hasn't seemed to hurt it any. Every time you use the clutching action it wears on the belt and pullies and on a 20/30 YO machine the pullies are probably worn very smooth. The belts get replaced but the pullies rarely do but as long as it don't slip once fully engaged I wouldn't worry about it.

I usually do most of the driving with the lever alone. When I get into really tight situations (maneuvering in really close surroundings, backing a trailer into tight spots, pushing snow or dirt) I use the clutch. Sometimes I just don't have enough hands, so I have to use my foot to control the tranny. Been doing that for years, and it is still working fine. Haven't had any problems from using the clutch. The hydro is usually set at a very slow speed when I use the clutch, unless it is for a sudden stop.

If my hydro tractors didn't have a clutch pedal I wouldn't notice. I won't say I never use it, but I can probably count the times one one hand.

I was going to convert my 3314v to hydro but the variable is starting to grow on me. I seem to run out of hands on my hydro. I notice if I keep the trans in 3rd gear all the time, I can run the variable lever all the way down to have a usable slow speed but also have good high speed to get out of the plow trucks way.

You have to remember - a hydro is like an automatic trans in a car. The whole purpose is to not have to use a clutch pedal. Using a clutch on a hydro is defeating its purpose. The only times a clutch pedal should be used on a hydro trans tractor is 1) at startup - easier to crank over because you are not spinning the hydro pump, 2)in an emergency stop type situation - the clutch and brake are all in the one pedal, 3)setting the parking brake. On tractors like a 7000/7100, if the clutch pedal isn't used for quite some time, they tend to stick at the idler arm pivot bushing on the RH frame, letting the belt slip. Tim

Hi, Agree clutching the hydro is not desireable. When the hydro is engaged, as the lever is moved it goes from no flow to whatever rate you move the lever to. The pump always starts with no load and the pump volume is increased with the motor flow. The pressure on the pump is kept rather low. When you clutch the hyro with it in an advanced mode it is like using the clutch on a stick shift starting out in high gear. The pump is starting the load and the volume is up. This greatly increases the pressure to the motor input line. Pressures can approach the pressures achieved in a full load stall situation. Not clutching is much kinder to you hydro pump and motor. Al Eden

As a related question ... How often do you use the parking brake? My dad always told me to use it when putting our 66 MW Squire 10 away because it releases the tension on the drive belt and it will last longer. And as mentioned above, reduces the starting load on the engine. It is still something I do on the large frame tractors, but not my Broadmore. The park brake is seperate from the clutch and too easy to forget until you smell it getting hot.

I might use a parking brake if I had one that worked. Guess that answers your question. Oh, yes, I am talking about my four tractors, not just one.

I have 3 hydros and almost never use the clutch. usually when i do i have to lubricate the pivot arm after. I learned this after thinking i damaged the hydro after an emergency stop. none of my parking breaks function. I am thinking of fixing them though. too many times i park the tractor and when i am not paying attention here a whir that tells me my tractor is rolling down the hill. My lot is a big slope. I havent had one roll far yet.

Well I learned something today. I've had my AC914H for 10 years and didn't know it would start easier if the clutch was engaged. Also now understand why the hydalic lift won't lift when clutch is used,pumps not pumping. Thanks for the information.

I use it for starting and quick manuevers, especially when plowing snow with the electric lift and you need three hands at once. I never worried about belts/pulleys, my small framed tractors use belt clutching and the one has had the same belt on it for the 25 years I've used it. Parking brake? These tractors have parking brakes? I thought that lever was just there to catch your pant cuff when you jump off the tractor.

The parking brake on any of the older - 700 through last Sovereign style tractors - doesn't release belt tension. It only holds the brake band tight to the drum. The Serf/Yeoman/Broadmoor families are the same - only holds the band, doesn't release the belt.

I have several tractors with hydro drive I use around my parents place.I only push down the clutch to start the tractor. I have not used the parking brake on my tractors yet. Karl [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url]

Never used the brake on my serf or Broadmoor. Actually had to go out and LOOK at the Broadmoor to see if it had the parking brake lock.......it does. Over 10 years of ownership and have never gotten in a situation where going slightly faster than a brisk walking pace required the use of a brake. Hmm......what's a hydro? lol. All 9 of my tractors are gear drives. I've used hydro's before and never clutched except when starting the engine.......i added that last note just to stay in form with the original post :-)