Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine RPM-16HP Kohler

paull

To check the rpm at full throttle you will need some kind of tachometer. On a single piston 4 cycle engine, 3600 rpm will be 1800 sparks per minute or 30 sparks/explosions per second. Referred to 30 Hz in the audio department. Finding a tach for small engines ought to be difficult. The easiest would be to use a 30 Hz audio test CD/tape and tuning the engine by ear to the same frequency. Chuck

The throttle cable connector on my kohler 16hp. loosened and caused the cable to separate from the linkage. I re-attached the cable to the point where it seemed to be originally. Now the motor is capable of much higher RPM. Not racing excessively, but definitely higher (maybe max. rpm was set to low originally?). -Is there any way to check the RPM to make sure it is within spec. (3600 rpm?)? -Does the governor limit rpm no matter how the cable is attached to the linkage? Paul L.

Kohlers use an adjustable top speed fixture to limit RPM. Once adjusted the cable clamp adjustment should bottom out against it or can be adjusted to just reach this point. B&S vibration tach can't be too expensive and works quite well also.

You can buy a vibratach from any briggs and stratton dealer quite inexpensively! It works off vibration and does a nice job. A govenors sole job is to slow the engine down. The throttle cable you mentioned is attached to a lever and spring assembly. Pulling against the spring is what controls the speed of the engine. If the cable were to break,or if you took it off for some reason, the engine should only run at an idle.Also, there is usually a lever stop that keeps the lever the govenor spring attaches to from from traveling to far. It could possibly be out of adjustment. The vibratach should get you back where you need to be, Any more questions, just ask! Good luck! .

"A govenors sole job is to slow the engine down" ??? Maybe I am wrong but I was always taught it was the throttle return that slowed the engine down. Be it the cable or a throttle return spring. The governors job is to maintain engine rpm both with and without a load. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Rob