Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FDT mid PTO on RBT?

HubbardRA

I am throwing this out for discussion to see what others think of this idea. I have a sicklebar mower for an FDT. Do any of you think that it would be practical, or even feasible to put the mid PTO setup from an older FDT on an RBT, in order to be able to run FDT attachments such as sicklebar, and older mower decks? Tell me what you think!

Rod, I think this was discussed in a post not long ago. Seems like the consensus was that it could be done but, without knowing for sure, I would think the running board would be in the way unless you did like MPH and removed it. There was even a post by someone who has done the modification. Maybe someone without CRS can find the post.

Roy, I think our discussion about this was in the Chatroom a little over a week ago. MDB actually suggested this mod and said it should be a bolt on. I brought it up to see if anyone had done this, and also to see if there were any problems that others would know about before I attempt it. In other words, would I have to remove my running boards to use a sicklebar mower? Could I hook up the old-style pto to the existing cone clutch? Am I just re-creating one of those tractors that had running boards, but still had the old-style pto? Did they have problems with the older attachments? I'm familiar with the old ones, like my 61 Wards, and the newer ones like my 716H, 713S, and 7116H. I've never owned one of those in-between tractors, so I just really don't know what the limitations would be if I tried to make this change.

What does fdt stand for?but i think i know what you talking about.maby you couldweld on a pully at the end of the sickle bar, then put a second pully to the shaft that turns all the other pullys on the mower deck.then put a belt on th two pullys,so when the mower deck turns the sickle bar turns to.

I think the 3300 simplicity tractors were running board tractors but still had the center pto setup like the foot dragger tractors. At least I had a 3310 parts tractor with a solid pulley on the bevel box and center pto hanging underneath like the FDT tractors. It also had the running boards like the 3400-7000-7100 types.

Rod, thanks for jogging my memory. It was in the Chat Room that we discussed it. ^ Guess my CRS is worse than yours. :D lboy1971, you are correct. I think MPH is working on a transition tractor that has the center PTO and running boards. I might like a transition tractor with the good features from both RBT's and FDT's. Landlord2210, RBT = running board tractor FDT = foot dragging tractor Been covered many times here. You may want to spend some time going through old posts. They are full of information.

I was wondering if a sickle bar mower from one of the older tractors would work properly on a 3300 series tractor. Does anyone have this setup now?

I saw a post a long time ago that someone had made a setup for a newer tractor(3400 or 7000/7100) where they could switch from the new style PTO to the older style PTO. As I recall, you had to take off the left rear wheel in order to get the idlers off the new style PTO because the pivot shaft had the bracket for the idlers welded onto one end. The 3300 series used the old style PTO but if I'm not mistaken the shaft that the pulleys mounted on was 1 1/8" instead of the smaller 1" shaft used on earlier tractors. As far as older decks, the carriage was narrower because you didn't have the running boards. Once they added those, the carriage had to be wider in order to clear the width of them...

My main concern is the -210 sicklebar mower that I have. I was specifically wondering if I could modify my AC716H to use that sicklebar, by changing the PTO to the old style.

Seeings how the one from 3314 is laying on the bench I went and checked the shaft. Both ends measure 7/8 and the one on the B-112 is 3/4 as is the older b-10 style that's on the landlord. Now that is assuming the one on the 3314 came with the tractor and we know what that can cause..

I used a old hand lift sickle mower on a 3314 I had and it workled fine. I just had to make up a "weld a hub" pulley small enough to run it off of for the larger shaft used on the 3300 series PTO. The only thing is that you really need the mower to be of the cable lift type to be able to lift it up correctly. The running board gets in the way of the manual lift lever on the older sickle mowers. Personally I'd like to get another 3314 to keep around here just for the use of the PTO setup on it to try attachments on. Toss the Vickers and drop a Sundstrand into it..... Like I need another tractor sitting around.

Thanks Sam, I have the pictures of the cable lift system, and the conversion from hand lift to cable lift. That should be easy to fabricate. With that setup on one of my RBTs, there wouldn't be any need for FDTs around at all.:(:( Well, Roy, when you let me have that sicklebar mower, did you ever think that it might end up on an RBT?8D:D

I ran into some pictures here from a long time ago of someone who did this - I think I remember something about the hydro filter in the way, and something about the pulleys on the cone not lining up with the pulleys on the PTO shaft. I found them becasue I was thinking about the same thing - mounting an older sickle bar on a cone clutch :> Off to see if I can find the post...

Here it is! Mounting an old PTO on a cone clutch tractor with pics. Sams post. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=33263&SearchTerms=pto,cone,sickle

You guys sure have me thinking. I may try to fit the pto setup from my 61 Wards on to the 716H. Sounds like all it will take is a little backyard engineering. It is especially nice to find out that Sam has already done what I am planning to do. Now, how do I find some time to start working on this setup? I still haven't finished the rockshaft adapter or the spout rotater. Another project added to the list.

I could not tell the direction of rotation on Sam's idler pulley but remember that an idler needs to be on the belts slack side, not the tension side.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
I could not tell the direction of rotation on Sam's idler pulley but remember that an idler needs to be on the belts slack side, not the tension side.
Now that my memory has been jogged, the idler setup you mention was not working right. It should have been on the opposite side to what it was ,but I never finished the engineering on that project before I split that tractor up and sold it out on parts. To make it work right I was going to need to make a custom bracket for the idler to pivot on( on the slack side) and didnt have the time free to do it then.