Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro drain plug

dewayne

I'm in the process of tearing my 917h down . Going to drain fluid from hydro and drain plug is froze solid. twisted head off plug. Ground smooth drilled hole for easy out, broke easy out. Any ideas ? dewayne

If you drill it to the body size can you pick the threads out? I have also in a similar situation, drilled as large as possible and still leave some integrety, and tapped the hole for another slightly smaller plug. Be very certain not to get any contaminate in that hydro unit.

Drill a hole in the plug as large as possiable to use the largest easyout you can. Try some heat with it if what you have already done doesn't work. Also, if the hole you drilled is well centered in the plug you can always use the correct size pipe tap to clean out the threads that are there. This is easier than picking the threads out. The only caveat is to make sure the original plug is drilled almost perfectly in the center.

Taking it you still have fluid in the tranny, might be careful how much heat you use and remove the fill plug while your doing it just as a safty expansion outlet.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Taking it you still have fluid in the tranny, might be careful how much heat you use and remove the fill plug while your doing it just as a safty expansion outlet.
Also the kind of heat...I think you'll find ATF to be quite flamable. Once the unit is warmed up, if you have access to some dry ice put a piece on the plug to try to shrink it away from the housing. For larger items we use fire extinguisers.