Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Chalmers Forklift

bigcountry

I have the chance to get an Allis Chalmers propane powered forklift (not tractor mount, but self propelled) for $400. Can anyone help me out with info on these machines? The ad says it's rated for 1600lbs. Says it needs a battery and the propane tank and that it ran when it was given to the guy. Pic in the ad shows it sitting behind a shop. The location its listed at is roughly 10 miles from home. I am sending the guy an email asking when was the last time that he knew it ran and what his overall opinion of it is. Does this sound like a good deal?? I don't know if I'll have time to look at it this week or not, but I'd like to just check it out to make sure I'm not passing up a good heavy machine. Might be able to fit it in on Sunday.

One time not hurting your back and it will seem like a steal at twice the price.... Hurt your back once and you will wish you had spent the money on the forklift instead of the doctor.....

If it's driveable $400 is cheap. Even if you just park it in a corner and use it for a tractor hoist so you don't have to work bent over.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to get it to run on gasoline or diesel fuel....I'm not sure what kind of propane tank it would need. Would a gas grill tank work on it? The only reason its got my attention is because I am selling/delivering a Craftsman mower this weekend for a little over $500 and so I could buy it if I was really impressed with it. But like I said, I don't know what kind of engine is in it, nor what kind of shape its in. The local JD dealer has one like this they use in their boneyard, but I do not know if its the same model or not.

A bunch of the older AC forklifts used BUDA brand engines. Most like this are set up for LP for use indoors. You ould convert it to gasoline but there isn't much reason to do so as the LP systems work well. I can't recall if the newer style OPD grill tanks will fit the hand valves on these or not but a tank isn't hard to find. Other than a lower compresion ratio and the LP carb. on it it's basicly a standard gas engine. One this size wouldn't be diesel. Probably at that price it'll have very small hard rubber tires for use indoors on concrete so driveing around a yard in the soggy winter will be out. It'll also most likely be a straight drive, not an automatic. Parts are still avaliable for most things and I know a good repairman on these units up in Gretna Vir. so if you do get it and need some help I can point you in the right direction. If it were me, I'd probably get it and if it wasn't salvageable like it is I'd remove the lift and make an attachment for my 620 or D-17. The size of the mast and capacity would determine whitch would be the best base. Mosy smaller lifts are around 4000# so I'm a little surprised at your figure of 1600#. But I'm no expert on them. But I've worked on a few.

Dave, the ad just says its good for 1600lbs. so I'm assuming that's what it is, but 4000 could be right. I know it has the indoor tires from the pics. As I said in my previous post, the local JD dealer uses one in their boneyard and it's almost never dry there, I've only seen it stuck once there though but I'm sure its happened more than that. I was just thinking it would make moving and working on mowers around home easier so I could put off building a shop a little bit longer....8) The ground is so rocky at home I'd have a hard time getting stuck unless I drive it where my neighbor had his garden at, because he and his wife when he was alive had hand picked all the rocks out of that area. I believe he said it took them a year of going out there every afternoon to clean the rocks out. But that is the richest black dirt I've ever seen in my life.

I may be wrong Dave but I thought LP heads gave gas motors higher compression. You will find it real easy to get stuck with that fork lift off anything but concrete. One churn of the tires is about all you get. been there done that.

Marty there is a power loss when you use butane, NG and LOG versus gasoline. I don't have the tables here but gasoline has the most heat content.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
I may be wrong Dave but I thought LP heads gave gas motors higher compression. You will find it real easy to get stuck with that fork lift off anything but concrete. One churn of the tires is about all you get. been there done that.
As as as traction is concerned, if it has indoor tires on it, they are smooth. Most fork lifts are made for warehouses with concrete floors. Any little think will give them problems. Trust me on that, I'm one of many who have to sweep out trailers all the time.:( Before you get it, I would research if you can change tires to an out door tread. Elon

Marty, I think your right. Since LP is more controled and has less BTU facter an P engine has a slightly higher compresion ratio. IT was late and I had brain freeze. Most indoor forklifts, especially those with lower lift rateings, use the very small 8"- 10" tires and ground clearance is the big problem. So even if you swap to a lug tire whitch there normally isn't room to do because of the wheel well if you ever spun just once it would set down on the frame. Most older yard dogs I've seen used around a 15-16" tire with duals and had a little more ground clearance so one spin wouldn't do you in. I think if the mast and main lift cyl. are good you still can't go wrong. Just make sure you get some forks for it at that price. Most get robbed off and a used set will cost you as much as the truck is now.