Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Too Red ????

MPH

After a bathtub wet sanding last nite I second coated the 3314 tin work, looks a bit red too me,

so I flipped it over and painted part of it. To the right of the pen is old paint that I hit with a quick coat of car wax, for my table saw top, to take the oxidation off. I can see a little difference in real but I sure can't see much in the picture. Used Dupli color orange-red # DE1607.

Looks good from here. The store I get paint cans from sells two different brands of Chevy engine orange and they don't match. When I sprayed my hood, it didn't match the frame because I bought the wrong brand.

quote:
Originally posted by richp
Looks good from here. The store I get paint cans from sells two different brands of Chevy engine orange and they don't match. When I sprayed my hood, it didn't match the frame because I bought the wrong brand.
What brand is more orange?

Marty, I like that color. When I painted my 713S with the Chevy engine orange, it turned out a little too orange for my liking. I like the looks of yours with more red in it.

The two brands are Duplicoler and plasticote (I think) I will say the darker one of the two spread real good. When I get home I will see which brand is darker. The picture on my post has the darker one on the hood. If you look on my profile page, in the gallery, You can see the difference in color.

Marty, That color looks a little too red for that tractor. You should send that tractor down here and I'll fix it for you at no charge. It may take a couple years but it will look good. Kris

Marty I know this dosen't solve your problem but this is the paint I'm gonna try when I get going on my L/L 101 ,I know there's a Ace hardware right down the street from you LOL, Has anyone else had any experience with this paint?

That is what I use. I'm happy with it. But I'm not an expert. It is soft until it cures . In hot summer sun

[img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/flame1.jpg[/img] Paul, that is the same paint I have been using for all my paint jobs. It looks pretty good in the end, and so far it's held up decent. Just make sure you let it dry extra long. I waited a few days before I put my 725 back together, and it still scratched and chipped easy. But after a few weeks it's a lot better. They sell it in gallons, so after I build my paint booth, I'm going to try to run it thru a paint gun. I haven't found out if you can mix it with any sort of hardener or not yet. I'm not even sure if you can thin it. But I'm going to play around and find out. Elon

Hey Elon we do a fair amount of painting on the equipment at work and a lot of experimenting too,I,ve put gloss hardener in just about every kind of paint except a water base ,and have had good luck , I Think hardener and thinner would work . Is the paint they sell in the gallons the same paint that is in the can ,The can paint is straight enamel thats why it dosen't dry so fast , thay do make a hardener for straight enamel ,When I find some more ambition and get going on the Landlord mabey I'll do some experimenting!

Luckily I have a quart right here. [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/paint1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/paint2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/paint3.jpg[/img] Elon

Hey Elon I've used that same paint in safety yellow ,I diden't like it because it diden't cover well and ran real eazy I think the can paint works well ,I used the same can paint in blue to do the Homelite. it did dry slow ,it works well if you heat the can up in hot water first.

I've been researching spraying the can paint also. I found the mix ratio of 8:1:4 Paint/hardener/reducer. The hardener would be Mar-Hyde 2632 or PPG D XE123. The reducer, I haven't found a number for yet, just synthetic enamel reducer. As soon as I can paint outside again I am going to try it.

Marty, it looks fine to me. The Simplicity orange is supposed to be more red than the AC Corporate and Persian orange anyway. I use the Duplicolor DE1607 for all my Simplicity's. It looked good on my Landlord's fender. Its not perfect, but it should be closer than Allis orange. I think there are some pics in my profile of the landlord after painting the fender a few years ago. The paint has held up fairly well, but it is stored inside and waxed yearly.

Well Paul, being a stubborn one, I'm going to try it. I like the $20 price tag on the gallon rather than the almost $5 for the can. If I remember right, it took at least 20 cans to paint my 725. If I reduce the gallon, I should get a few tractors painted with one gallon. Elon

I repainted an Allis 5020 where I used to work. If you have spray equipment...I used Ditzler paint with the hardner. They had an AC orange that looked pretty good. The hardner makes it durable and glossy. This can be found at any automotive parts house that handles Ditzler paint. I would think that other paint brands would have AC orange also. In my opinion, if you have an aircompreser, spring for a paint gun. You don't need a $300 gun. I have a $69 gun that works just fine. If you do plan to do a lot of painting then maybe spring for a good HVLP gun. It will pay for it's self in reduced overspray(paint that goes on the part being painted not into the air).

Marty, looks great. I've used ACE RUSTSTOP for many things over the years.I think is good paint. I use to be a hardware buyer for a ACE DEALER until I went on disability because of my eyesight. I am currently using the cans to repaint my 917h, which I have stripped to bare metal on most of parts so far. Wire brush in a drill. dirty and time consuming, but doing ok. I think color is good match. dewayne

I used the Rust Stop Allis Chalmers orange on my 2012 and it looked to orange to me, when compared to the frame under the engine. I bought a smaller can of their safety red and mixed it in little by little until I got to the shade that looked right to me. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of how much I mixed in. Maybe I shouldn't have admitted that. Mike

Marty it looks great to me,,,,,but then again I have black rims on my putt putt. It does look very close to matching from what I can see.

Marty: I have been trying to think of a good serious reply for this problem. Colors are hard to match, but I wouldn't worry about it being a little dark if you paint the whole tractor. You mentioned that this would be your mower tractor meaning that it will be used in the summer when you have all that sun. The sun will make it appear brighter and lighter, thus giving you the perfect shade. Just keep it inside when those long dark days happen the other 9-10 months 8B)}:):D