Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

lugs and chains

TripleDeuce50

Got this 7116 looking good and added some new 23x10.5.12 carlisle 2-ply lugs...the Question is Is it possible to run chains on these after installing these tires? There is like 1/2 inch gap between pto pulley and tire can not be enough room for chains. Do yah remove the pulley for the winter? Any thoughts?

Jeremy I have the same kind of machine and tires that you do, and I bought a set of HD chains off ebay. Well what I found was that unless you have the chains tight and sitting just right the left hand chain scrapes on the PTO pulley and makes a grinding noise. Now with regular smaller diameter chains you may not have to worry. Another potential problem with my oversize chains is the hydro tranny filter. The slack where the chains are tied together could possibly hit the filter if not tied back out of the way.

Hey TripleDeuce50 - how do you like the 2 plys? I was wanting to end up with some bar tires too and was thinking about the 2 plys for a softer ride. Do they seem like they are tough enough for general purpose use? Thanks!

I have 26x12x12 lugs on my 7117. I made up spacers for wheels . 1.75 inches thick. I'm going to have rims made with correct offset.

2burning... I really like the 2-ply's I prefer them. I think they are plenty rugged for any thing you can do with these tractors. Plus the flex at the sidewall more which equals more traction. I highly recomend the 2-ply