Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Recommended Maximum Slope

I'm cutting a rather long and complicated path or trail through my property and am trying to come up with a maximum slope for it. I was able to test a mocked-up area with my Pmax and Sears SS16 and found the maximum slope that both tractors could handle is about a 26% grade. I originally planned on about 14% but if a steeper grade is reasonable it would save me a lot of earth moving. Any suggestions? The path would only be used for the tractors and foot traffic.

You can climb a steeper slope by adding weight to the front of the tractor. If you are making the grades, then I would recommend that you set them for climbing without the front weight. Also remember that if you are towing a heavy trailer or dragging something heavy up one of these grades, you will also need to add front weight. The additional load will make the front end want to lift off the ground on a steep grade. Take it from a guy who survived a flip, these tractors will raise and flip over backward so quickly that you hardly have time to react. Luckily, the time it happened to me, I was able to roll off the seat and prevent myself from being pinned under the tractor when it ended up on its top. Please be careful on steep grades.

A major part of grades and slopes is how well the engine can stay lubricated. Each engine manual now has the maximum operating angles engine can safely operate.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
A major part of grades and slopes is how well the engine can stay lubricated. Each engine manual now has the maximum operating angles engine can safely operate.
Thanks! I checked both the Pmax and Sears SS16 manual and they have a maximum operating limit of 35% and 15% respectively. I suppose the difference between the two is the type of oiling system used even though they are both Onan engines. Looks like I'll have to stick with something close to my originally planned 14% grade.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
quote:
Originally posted by lb59
cross wise or up and down?
Vertical or Horizontal??:o)
Up and down. I'm not planning on doing any work along the side of a hill. At least not for now.

Looks like the slope will end up having to be around 20%. That spells trouble for the SS16. Curious what other Simplicity machines of comparable size require for a maximum slope. I'll replace the Sears with one if the numbers work out better and providing of course that one is available for purchase.