Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

? - 4040 for sale on E-bay

sunrunner

4040 with bad onan engine - How is the parts department with these engines/tractors? and where does a 4040 fit in the powermax family -if it does? - Thanks - Chris

Hi Chris: Sure wish I lived closer to that one. I'm no expert but do know that Onan parts are expensive. I'm pretty sure that they are all available though. Another popular option is the Honda kit for that tractor. The only problem with buying a tractor like that is, since it doesnt run, how do you know which other systems (if any) are bad. If you do a little homework by searching the archived posts, you will find a vast amount great information on these tractors. I personally think they are an awsome machine. Good luck, Ken

they do have honda kits for these check out this link http://home.search.ebay.com/onan_Engines-Multi-Purpose_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ79670

Its about 3 hrs from me and have it on the watch list. It will probably go out of my range fast. I dont think it will fit in the truck either. Replacing the engine is also another hi cost fear but the rest dont look too bad -

I saw a powermax 4040 close to me and went to check it out. The engine ran and all the systems worked, but the thing looked in rough condition... I passed on it, It later sold for 1500 dollars with a snowblower and a big deck. It was likely a good deal, but was more work than I could dedicate to a project and some of the work was far beyond my skill level... actually that part is not hard to achieve on any used tractor that needs work. I like the size of the powermax... very impressive .

They are impressive. One of our customers has a garage kept 4040 they use to plow the lot and road and it about takes everything Ive got not to drool all over it when I stop there. The one on ebay seems to have gone away -

I have R/C trucks like that somewhere around here. I raced everything electric at one point. The one in the pic has an 11hp Briggs in it. Someday I might put a mower deck back on it -