Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel shut off protocol

Simpleton7016

I just read that the East Coast is getting blasted pretty good. I am jealous. We have a little snow, but not enough to have fun. Anyway, I've been reading alot about the fuel shut off valves lately. And kudos to Marty for his excellent worksmanship. I think I understand that it is the ethanol or other reformulation in the gas that eats up the carbs. Several questions: 1) Is it the ethanol additive that eats up the carbs? 2) Are there any alternative additives to counter the effects of the ethanol? 3) Do I need to run the tractor for a few minutes after I turn off the "shut-off" valve to make sure all the gas is burned out? 4) Can it go bad in just a couple of weeks with the new gas sitting in there? 5) How much does a carb re-build kit cost and does anyone have any secrets they want to share about where to get them and/or tips for a rebuild? Thanks in advance, Erik

1. I always was told it was ethanol's tendency to absorb water that caused the majority of the problems. Don't know about 2&3 4. Rebuilt kits are really cheap, usually less than 20.00 anywhere, even less on line. Biggest rebuild tip I've learned is be really careful with the nozzle and the threads in the lower carb body. The biggest annoyance I've had is the need to completely re-disassemble (Is re-diassemble even a word?:D) the carb to adjust the float if it isn't right the first time.

Good tip Randy. I think it is a word and if it isn't, I sure as heck know what you are talking about! P.S. I'll wave to you about 8:30 tomorrow. I will be flying over you around 8:30 AM en route to Florida. Woohoo!

Ethanol doesn't attack the carb that I am aware of. It raises havoc with weed wips, gas powered blowers, chain saws and any other two cycle engine when the gas line is submerged in the fuel mix. The lines only last about 3 years. Even Stabil(Noted below)don't seem to help. When Ethanol is mixed with no-lead gas, the overall shelf life is shortened quite a bit. You can lengthen the self life with an additive called Stabil. I have real good luck with the product. The only time that I run carbs dry is when I park tractors for the winter and they run with a Stabil mix first. Most engine people say you should use that gas up in six months or less. The best answer is in the engine operators manual. To get plain no lead for you you would have to go to Jefferson county which is out of the EPA zone. I haven't had any problems other then what I noted with the two cycle equipment. Fuel shut offs are a quick fix for Briggs engines, and one you become religious about turning off gas it is not a big deal.

In south east Wisconsin We are forced to used a "special" EPA mandated fuel to combat emissions. I believe because of it Honda and GM have fuel injector problems.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Most engine people say you should use that gas up in six months or less. Fuel shut offs are a quick fix for Briggs engines,
I've talked to Briggs service tecks about 3 times and they tell me the biggest contributor of carbs gumming up is due to the way gasoline is formulated now days.