Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Peculiar Hydro Doin's

Noticed today while using my Pmax that if the front hydraulic cylinder for the dozer blade is used while the tractor is moving, the tractor gains speed. Seems more likely to me that the hydraulic power to operate the dozer would take away from the power transmitted to the transmission. Any ideas on what's goin' on?

D-17_Dave
Oil flow to operate the remotes comes off the unused flow from the charge pump. Without getting into deep hydraulic principles, the charge pump flows oil at a low pressure. Ussually around 55opsi on these transmisions. It takes low pressure flow to replace the leaking oil out of the high pressure transmision pump. The high pressure circut doesn't require all the flow from the charge pump to opperate unless the high pressure pump or motor fails. (Different set of problems). The transmision has a priority flow valve and a releif valve so the transmision pump gets what oil it needs. After the tranny has satisfied itself the flow valve dumps the excess oil off into the aux. circut and this opperates the remotes. If I guese right I'd say possibly that since the aux flow under most circumstances flows unused back to the tank without restriction you have one speed. When you pull a remote lever it builds pressure against the flow divider and flows a tiny bit more oil into the high pressure tranny pump slightly increasing speed untill the relief valve unloads the back pressure. Or your just imagining things. But I'm not here to judge, lol, just to offer an opinion.