Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How do I switch rear lift to work opp front?

gjh

I have a Homelite AC T12 aka 3412 or 3416. The rear lift on the homelite does not work opposite of the front, therefore you cannot use a rear counterweight as the front and rear lift at the same time. It seems to me that the pivot point on the rear would have to be reversed to work in the opposite direction. Has anyone done this, or can they help. It's been a while since I put the rear lift on my machine, but if I remember correctly it is actuated by a cable from the crank just under the dash assembly. Thanks for any input. :)

Gary it seems that you have to reroute the cable where it attatches to the lift tube under the center of the frame. If the cable routes over the tube the rear lift moves one way, if the cable routes under the tube the rear moves the oppisite way. It's been a while but I think that's the basic idea.

If you can find a rockershaft from a later model tractor such as a 7100 or AC 900, they have two mounting points for the cable so that the lift can be reversed. I bought one of those on ebay and plan to replace the one in my AC 716H with it, so that the lifts will be opposite. There was also an adapter made by Simplicity that would bolt to the original shaft and allow the direction to be changed. I was going to make a few of these, but have not had the time lately. It is no longer available from the factory.

Good recall Rod. I knew it had something to do with the lift tube(rockershaft) . I didn't realise there was a difference between the 3400 series and my 7100 series.

thanks fellas I'll have to take a look at it. I installed the rear lift & an electric lift (want to take some stress off it) from a parts machine T16 I picked up. Actually it was a complete 1975 T16 hydro, less engine, I have parted out some of it, gas tank, lights, etc, & separated the entire rear/bgb & all to save as spares as I know vickers are hard to come by. John; I'll take a look at the set up & let you know if I can re-route or need the rocker. Maybe we can make a trade, but looks like you got plenty of stuff. Anybody need any parts? P.S. started to snow pretty hard here in Ipswich MA on coast, but with the 30-40 mph wind hard to tell how much accumulation. Set up blower last night hoping I can use it for 1st time this year. Been an easy one so far getting by with the plow.

Gary, On my A/C Homelite T-12, the rear lift is connected with a solid rod, not a cable. Not sure that it's an original since the rear lift receiver has a round hole in it and I think the Homelite's used rectanglar hole. The lift works as you described - both front and back raise or lower in the same direction. The rear lift will "float" however - if the rear implement is chained up, the rod at the lift tube can slide in the connection (the rod stays in the same spot). Good luck converting it. PS - Got over a foot of snow on the ground here just north of Phila. Snow has pretty much stopped - Time to go fire up the tractor and play!

Well i looked at my lift, it is actuated by a rod, not a cable. Didn't get much farther than that as the only reason I had the seat up is I couldn't get my machine going after blowing snow for 2 hrs this afternoon. Got about 16" of light drifting snow, which is always the problem by the ocean. It was blowing so hard I had a difficult time keeping it out of my face! Anyhow, I shut the machine down to shovel around the front door & it wouldn't re-start; nothing from the starter motor. Light & lift worked fine. I thought maybe the neutral switch was the problem so that's why I lifted the seat. Turned out that wasn't it so I pushed it into the garage to thaw out. There was so much blowing snow I had 2" in each pocket of my coat! Bottom line it looked like it was the ign switch as I could jump the solenoid & get the machine running. Two hrs later & 40deg in garage & it started right up. maybe some snow in the contacts? Anyhow John, does the part you have work with a rod?

make sure the connectors from the electric lift are right otherwise when ya go to raise your deck, you would hear the end of travel for down lol