Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Pulling an axle seal

Kent
I need to replace the seal around the rear axle on a 611LT. I cannot figure out how to remove the existing seal without damaging the axle or the rear differential housing that the seal is in. Any ideas? The seal is no larger around than a quarter, and the axle is about 3/4" dia.

JeffG
Tim, I don't know what the seal looks like in this particular application, so this may not work. But, for crank seals, etc. I simply drill a small hole in the old seal and insert a wood screw into the drilled hole. Then you just grab ahold of the screw head and pull the seal out with a pair of pliers. Any automotive parts store has actual seal removing tools, however, most are too large for these applications. Jeff

It is a 3-speed, and the local AC dealer was able to find replacement seals (Tecumseh) and I was not able to remove the existing ones. I think I may load the thing on my pickup and take it up to the AC dealer and let them remove the existing seals (I will watch to see how it is done). The seals are too narrow to use the drill/screw technique.