Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Six hours later and 10" of snow under control

So we had 10" of snow with higher drifts here in Stratford CT. I spent 2.5 hours the first pass to have about an 1" where I started. Then I spent 1.5 hours later and cleaned up for about an hour plus later... I'll round up to 6 hours to be fair. Otherwise, only two problems for this snow fall, one lost one set of chains to the road (put back on) and almost ran out of gas cutting a path for my neighbor. I did all this with a HB112 with a set of fatty tires on the back. If you loose the chains, you got no traction. I also had to lean back quite a few times when maneuvering to cut down on the spinning of the wheels; so I figured I needed more weight... fortunately I had one of those rear weights in the gee-arage and slipped that in the back. Didn't really change the front pressure of the blade at all, but really made the traction better. Now I already have 50lbs fatty weights, but that was not enough. Otherwise a sad story for a friend of mine... he owns one of the other brand tractors, family hand me down. Small tires, no weight - but has chains, dual stage snow thrower. Well he didn't get his driveway done yet; partially because he was having a tranny problem. I lightly joked I'd sell him a simplicity that would do the job, he didn't take the bait. I figure that his $1200+ investment in the dual stage snow blower and tilt blade is going to get him motivated to figure out how to get that machine working. I actually would like to see how his machine works... when he does. So how did everyone else fair with the snow?

I think we all faired pretty well, Had about 14" here in Groton Ma. There's some good pics. on S&T. Where's your pics? we'd like to see them.

It looks like "you guys" out east have way to much time on your hands. Actually looking forward to moving snow!? Well, maybe it's just because I'm jealous because I don't have a snowblower for my 7116. I do have a Wards walk behind that has that Simplisity look to it. Did Simplicity ever manufacture a walk behind for Wards? Mine is a 8hp, 3speed with reverse. It has the "other brand" on engine in it, you know the one that starts with "T". Can't use profanity on the site you know! The 110 volt electric starter gave up the ghost so now it is a rope start. Usually starts pretty good. If it gives me any trouble I just use my propane torch to warm the head a bit and it fires right up. Enough of this... need to get back to tractors! Ken

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
[img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif[/img] I been dying to use this:D:D:D Elon
LOL:D

quote:
Originally posted by Kenh
It looks like "you guys" out east have way to much time on your hands. Actually looking forward to moving snow!? Well, maybe it's just because I'm jealous because I don't have a snowblower for my 7116. I do have a Wards walk behind that has that Simplisity look to it. Did Simplicity ever manufacture a walk behind for Wards? Mine is a 8hp, 3speed with reverse. It has the "other brand" on engine in it, you know the one that starts with "T". Can't use profanity on the site you know! The 110 volt electric starter gave up the ghost so now it is a rope start. Usually starts pretty good. If it gives me any trouble I just use my propane torch to warm the head a bit and it fires right up. Enough of this... need to get back to tractors! Ken
It was Montgomery Wards that got Simplicity into the lawn & garden business... Simplicity began making 2-wheel walking tractors for Wards in 1938, and not long after began selling them with the Simplicity name on them. Later, Wards also had Midland make some of their walking tractors so they could sell them at a lower price, but they made sure all the attachments would interchange. If yours has an MID serial number, it was made by Midland, not Simplicity... You might find this interesting: http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/history.htm

LOL - After 5-6 hours, last thing I want to do is pull out a camera. So how many square feet are people snow plowing these days? I am calculating around 8000 square feet took me 5-6 hours. Problem is where to put the snow as I am working around 8 cars in the driveway parking area. Time for a bigger machine?
quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
[img]/club2/attach/ehertzfeld/thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif[/img] I been dying to use this:D:D:D Elon

I share my drive way with three other houses, in total I would say I plow about 1000 feet or so. If you have a lot of cars/truck to plow/blow around, I would think a bigger tractor would be worse. With these smaller one, you can get right in between the cars. Elon

I had about 20 inches in Roxbury CT, and was out for 4-5 hrs with my 720 w/o chains and my walk behind snowblower.....I wish I had chains.....But I got thru it all....I love my 720....I dont have any action pics but I will try to get some tommorrow

I got about 2 inches up here in upstate New York. But New York City, which is about 150 miles south of me got 26.2 inches. I at least got to use the A-C 916H with 46" dozer blade to plow up the 2 inches. The Simplicity Conquest with 42" single-stage snowthrower got to "sit this one out". But it is all gased up and ready to go, waiting for the actual "big one" to hit my area!

Thanks for the updates. Still curious how long it's taking folks for square footage of driveway, parking and sidewalks. I am also interested to hear any special techniques used.

I've recalculated my square footage as follows: 60x60 parking area, 60x10' driveway 1, 90x16'driveway#2, 40x10' driveway#3; total 6040. Add in some extra for an oversized driveway opening and sidewalks... say 100' square. So I am probably plowing more like 6200 square feet... Taking me an average of 2.5 hours per tenant ready job. If I do a quicky, leaving rough stuff, it takes me 1.5 hours. I do my neighbors side walk in like 3-5 minutes... So I'd say 6200/2.5= 2480 square feet per hour... Sounds like Terry-Hart is confirming that and well tec2484, he might need to cut down on the beer time and drink after :) Thanks... anyone else? Note: Elon, your right about getting between the cars... that can be solved by asking tenants to move their cars.. After that an 8' plow on a bronco gets the driveway done in 15 minutes. Slightly higher cost though...[:0] But what's 5 hours of time worth?? I will say I do have fun beating up the snow! ^

It takes me about 2 hours to blow and a little longer to plow. Like I said before, I share my drive way with three other houses. I always take care of them as well as my parking area. There are two long stretches that are about 500 to 700 feet long. Any one who has been here, know what I'm talking about. :)