Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I broke my 2110!! And I need some advice.

dbf

I was out pushing some snow around the driveway and the tractor started acting funny. Clutch in, from 2nd to reverse, clutch out and nothing would happen. The brake wasn't working either. Eventually it would start to move, but without it's normal grunt. Turns out the right axle tube (I'll call it that, but I'm not sure that is what it is called. It has a grease nipple in it) is broken. I looked through the manual, but I cannot find anything remotely close to what I saw broken on the tractor. It basically shattered and there are reminats of 2 very dried out old o-rings visable. I never investigated any further, it's cold and blowing like a deleted out there. So, what have I done? Any BTDT's? Any and all help will be greatfully appreciated. Dan

Suonds like your planetery gears in the diferential failed,You said it was the right axle tube,Was it on the outside closest to the wheel?

The tube with the grease nipple in it, that's what broke. There is still a good portiion of tube left on the axle, it just slips until the diff catches and the tractor starts to move. I'm not sure what you mean Paul, was it on the outside closest to the wheel?? Dan

Sounds as if you broke the axle tube or the diff. assembly. You'll need several parts or a doner tractor before you play any more. Sometimes it's just easier to swap in a whole tranny. If a repair is what your after, then pulling the left hub off and slideing the axle assembly out of the rear ed and dissasembling it is a good place to start. Then if you don't have it already, download the parts manual for the tractor so you can compare the broken parts with a picture. After identifying the part numbers needed we can help you find soe replacements. It should't be all that bad, this is a common thing on these 30+ year old tractors.

I just went out and had another look. I definately broke the axle tube itself. When it broke, it sheared the grease nipple off. The tube shattered, although it appears all the pieces are still there. I'll try and take some pictures.

Here are a couple of pictures. First one, from above

And the second one, from the rear. You can really see the extent of the damage with this one.

So, what's next? A whole new trans, or can I source another tube? I live in eastern Canada and tractors of this vintage are extremely rare, as are any parts. The guy I bought it from found it in a basement of a cottage that he was doing some renos in...it had apparently been sitting for years.... I'm in a bind fellas, any ideas? Dan

The axle tube is still available, but expensive. I think all the small parts you've likely damaged when it broke are also available... IMO, it'd be likely be cheaper and certainly easier to swap another tranny into it...

You have to disassemble the tranny in order to replace the axle tube. You have to remove the tranny before you can disassemble it. If you have a spare good tranny it is easier and faster to just replace the tranny once you have the damaged one removed. You can always tear it down and replace the damaged axle tube at a later date if you are so inclined.... You might find the pics on page 3 interesting... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10303&SearchTerms=frame,up,2012

Kirk - those are some really great photo's, thanks. I recognize the house, not sure if I remember seeing that restored 2012. I think that 3000 series is gonna sit a while... it's hydrostatic and I don't have the time to start that project.

SLI has axle tubes. The ones for the 3 speeds I think Brenda said were around 80 dollars, for the 3300 series hydro about 135, just bought one of those. Other then the stong snaprings it's not difficult to work on, pretty simple parts. With bearings and bushings and seals I'll have just over 200 in mine, and it'll be all new.

I did the same thing on my 3412 when I first got it, trying to rip some sod with the plow blade. Just went a little to hard. If I remeber it was just about $200 plus 4-5 hrs of my labor. I work pretty slow, but deliberate; as in cleaning up anything I work on. You gotta have the parts/repair manual it will help alot. Good luck, hope you have heat in your garage! p.s. I think the Simplicity dealer put this at a $500-$600 job, but their time is money too. Heck I only paid $50 for the tractor! 8D

I think a whole trans R&R is the way to go. Just a matter of getting it up here now!! The Simp dealer close to me quoted $65 + tax for a drive belt, so if that's any indication of the price they charge for parts, I imagine the axle tubes and other bits would be very expensive. Dan