Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

converting 540rpm to engine speed

Randyny

Hi, Now that I have a legacy with the 540rpm pto, I'd like to investigate converting some standalone implements to run off the pto. I have a shredder, logsplitter, and most important to me, a leaf vac. I've been flipping through the Northern Tool catalog - they have a lot of neat stuff, but I have yet to come across any basic solution. Has anyone here even done this? Any recommendations? thanks, Randy

I used to have an Ariens S-16H that had the driveshaft from the engine go through the tranny and come out full speed at the back, which would be the easiest solution. But the Legacy has the engine driveshaft coming into the hydro and 2 ptos, 540 at the rear and 2200 coming out the front of the hydro.

Could you not mount a pump off the 2200 pto. You could also run a shaft and some pulleys mounted on a few piller block bearings out to the rear for higher speed. I know these aren't choice options but I don't think there is anything to be done inside the tranny to speed up the output shaft speed and since the mid 80's when most attachments went to 540/cat-I I'm not aware of anyone makeing a tractor w/ 2000 rpm output.

Another option might be to find the imp's. you need in 540 rpm. cat. 1 configuration. They are easier to find than the 2000 rpm, cat. 0. So your's might bring a pretty good price, (if that is what you have). If your's are stand alone units, Dave is right pulleys and belts seem to be the most practicle way. It's real easy to control the speen then. The old Sunstars had an engine speed rear PTO, and an optional 2000 rpm unit. Although the 2000's are not real easy to come by.

i know whereabouts of a sunstar, but id have to check into the output further on it. why stick a hydro pump off that 540rpm tailend and run high pressure hose lines to the implement and stick another pump on that to drive its system? or same with the front output?

The 2200rpm pto shoots out the front of the tranny, only the 540rpm is out back. I was envisioning some sort of right angle drive connected to the pto, using sized pulleys to bring up the rpm's. But, maybe the hydro pump with hydraulic motors would work out, assuming it's not too expensive. I was already going to go with a hydro pump for the logsplitter. Northern Tool has a few that can be driven by 540 and put out between 11 and 50 gpm. I'll have to put together a parts list and get an idea of what I need. The leaf vac is the DR unit powered by a 6hp motor. Logsplitter is an old Sears unit with a 5hp. The Shredder is an old International Harvester chipper/shredder that appears to be identical to the Mackessics (sp) I occasionally see here. That one has a 7hp motor. It's very appealing to me to be able to 3-pt hitch the units up and go to work. The logsplitter and shredder don't get used that much, and I usually go without rather than dedicate the effort to get them up and running for 2 hours of work.