Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42" Snow Thrower # 1690032 AC 712S

mdw612

Good Day: A few years ago, I was fortunate to find and purchase A/C 712S, in very good condition with the following attachments: 42” snow thrower, set wheel weights with chains, 48" Mower Deck, Dozer Blade, Vacuum Collector syatem, Dump Cart with cover, Complete with all manuals. Ever since I have owned the system I have had a problem with the snow thrower, throwing belts, I have replaced a bent idler pulley and a sheared keyway. that seemed to repair the problems. All seemed ok, until yesterday, the auger speed seemed to be slower than I remembered, the chute clogged often the snow thrower belt seemed to heat up and broke, I replaced the broken belt with a newer one, and from that point on, the belt seemed to kick off about every 15-20’, anyone whom can help to diagnose this problem I would be grateful.

Check the auger by hand to make sure it turns freely. Have you greased the chain drive & drive shaft for the auger? Make sure you can spin all of the pulleys by hand. The PTO pulley should be lined up so it's a straight shot to the pulleys below. If not loosen the set screw and move it on the shaft. Is the exit chute rusted? If so you need to clean it up and paint it. Some of the members here say to use cooking spray in the chute as well to help keep the snow from clogging. Also it helps to have the engine reved high to spin the blower faster. I use a cheapo NAPA "green" belt and have had good luck with that but I guess the reccomended belt is an OEM one. Best of luck...

I replaced the broken belt with a newer one
Is this a new belt or a used belt?Are you using the front PTO or the mid PTO?I use the front PTO on mine and last year it threw the belt.Put it back on,same problem.Bought a new belt.Cured the problem.

Thanks for the responses; the auger and pullys all spin freely, chain well greesed, because there were a few dings in the idler pulleys, I phoned Brenda at Sandy Lake and ordered all new, along with new belts, My plan is to pull the unit apart and powder coat, and restore the tractor and all attachments.

On one snowblower with the 2 pulley hitch I had, the pulleys (they're different sizes) were reversed from their proper positions. Caused a lot of belt throwing and the belts (even OEM Simplicity) wore out very rapidly.

I think its critical to control ground speed to keep auger full and turning at full speed. If auger speed drops then shoot clogs and belts will break. How did pulleys get dinged up? 42" really works the 12hp, making speed critical.