Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SunStar - generator capabilities

MasterChief

Has anyone designed or seen a PTO (front or rear) driven generator attachment for a SunStar? My wonderful SunStars seem to have plenty of power, several attachments, two PTO's and great mounting possibilities. My limited research shows in theory a 20hp Kohler could handle 10kwatts. What'da think here guys? thanks, Denny Behr

I assume that you are talking AC power because at 12v DC, 10K watts is roughly 830 amps. If it is AC power, 100/240V single phase at 3600 RPM you need 16 HP. That's cutting it close if you want to do any motor starting. with nothing else connected, I think you would have a tough time making a 3 HP motor start because of the voltage inrush.

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to accomplish. The tractor would certainly handle it. Several places, such as Northern, sell a generator without a prime mover. I just don't like the idea of my tractor sitting still running full rpm's for any length of time. So I've always maintained a seperate unit. I never gave it much thought because around here when we loose comercial power it will be for several hours, if not days. I have been on generator for up to 5 days at a time. I got tired of having the gen. in the way all the time, and having to mess with filling it with gas. Then there was the fact that I wouldn't let anybody else start it up, for fear they would forget to isolate from the power company. I installed a fully automatic propain powerd unit from Generac. Now I don't have to worry about it. If we loose comercial power, in less than a minute I'm back up, weather I'm here or not. No matter how nasty the weather is, and I don't have to go out in it.

Hey Comet66, A bunch of us IT guys have been talking about how we are experiencing more and longer power outages. How long have you been running your Generac? I would think you really only need power maybe three - four hours a day for water, refridge, freezer, etc. We all have oil and LP lamps or candles for power outages. Doesn't the Generac run constantly? Can you turn it on and off as needed? Isn't it noisy? (here's the kicker.... we work for a central NY electric and gas utility)

quote:
Originally posted by imlarry
Hey Comet66, How long have you been running your Generac? I would think you really only need power maybe three - four hours a day for water, refridge, freezer, etc.
I've had it online for about a year and a half now. You are of course correct about not really needing continous power. However I have reached the point in life (read age)where I don't want to mess with changing feeds to equipment, adding gas, or being inconvienced by the lack of power. Also this allows the wife the use of it if I am not around when the power goes off. I used to use a 12.5 kw to backfeed the whole house from the shop, but I was always afraid some one else using it would forget to isolate from the power company. This has an automatic transfer switch, so that is no longer a worry. If I loose comercial power, in less than a minute I am back online with generator, when the c/p returns the transfer back is seamless. As far as noise goes, it is quieter than my portable unit, as it is enclosed in an insulated cabinet so you don't get as much mechanical noise from it. I think Lowe's sell this same unit. Since being taken over by Briggs, Generac's quality has greatly improved.

Wow...you guys think of everything....glad I asked. Sure wish I had that LP automatic setup...very cool! I was thinking about using one of those lower 540 RPM PTO's would that work? regards, Denny Behr

My generac paid for itself last friday morning when the power went out at 4:20 am.

With chill factor at -15 (to me that is way cold Marty!!!) and I didn't have to do anything but turn on the coffee maker and see the wife off to work. Just under 9 hours on generator and not the slightest inconvience. I know, I'm getting to be a sissy in my old age. But if there is not enough snow on the ground to plow or blow, I see no reason to go out in that kind of weather!! ^^^^

comet66 how big a propane tank is it feeding from and how long will it run before a refill? I also have a Generac but mine is a measley 10k EXL with a 18hp Vanguard engine and a 10 gal gas tank which I seem to remember running for about 6 hrs?before refill. I installed a manual transfer switch so it is impossible to feed the house while still connected to the utility power. I have been looking into diesel powered units that can feed off my home fuel oil tanks so that I don't have to worry about running out of gas but they are expensive around that size.

Mine is a 12KW, and I put in a 150 gal. tank (I think?). According to the info that came with it, I figured to be good for about 3 days or so at full load. Since the last time I topped off the tank the clock shows 11 hours, and the guage on the tank dropped 5%. It was the first extended run for it. With that, refilling at 15%, I should be good for 6 days or so. I figure that's plenty of time to get a truck out here and refill it.