Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is there an easier way?

Vinnie_A

I am repainting a Simplicity 725 with Ace hardware spray cans.I usually cover the tires with masking tape when I repaint the rims but this is rather time consuming,does anyone have another suggestion? I was also wondering how to protect the painted on lettering since the masking tape seems to lift off the lettering when the tape is removed. Thanks in advance, Vinnie

Vinnie get a piece of 4" or 6" roll alum. flashing cut a piece long enough to rap around the rim tuck it inbetween the tire and the rim when you get it snug then tape it together try that! they make a eazy release masking tape,look at a good parts store

Vinnie, An alternative to masking tape is blue painters tape. This tape leaves no residue and will not lift what it is adhered to. I use it often when finishing furniture and when masking a room to be painted. Hope this will help you. Good luck Chris

I would say cardboard cut outs as well, in addition if you do not have any masking tape before you paint the rims you can get an old bar of soap and rub it liberally on the tire. Incase you get any overspray you will be able to clean it up a bit easier.

Pull the tires off, put them back on with the inside looking up. If you do get a scratch, you won't see it as much. That is the way I have done all of my rims. Elon

I use grease straight out of the grease gun. I use it wherever I do not want paint. Guages,tires,seats,lights and decals. Just have to be careful not to get any on spots you want to paint.I'm not saying it does perfect job. But it works for me.

Make cardboard templates, put the tire in a plastic garbage bag, put the templates in place, cut the bag away from the area to be painted. Lather Rinse Repeat for the opposite side...lol.

Vinnie, For covering decals I always mask with painters 3M Blue then use an exacto knife to cut away the excess tape. Once the paint is just beyond tacky but not yet cured take the point of the exacto to lift one corner of the masking tape then pull the tape off from one corner to the other while keeping the tape very close to the surface as you pull it off. Do so at an angle to the strait edge of the decal. If you've ever watched any of the biker build off competitions on the Discovery channel you'll notice how the professionals remove the masking tape. That's where I learned to do it.

On some of the tender decals and such I use the grease or vasoline trick as Ron does. Washes off easy and NO kind of paint I know of will stick to it.

Dave, After I posted I got to thinking about water decals. If this is the type he has on his tractor then i agree 100% that grease is the best way to mask them. Even the slightest pull on a water decal will remove it. Thanks!! Sean aka Zippo

For rims I grease with gun grease or crisco, washes off with simple green when paint is dry. I also cut out a cardboard circle the size of the rim to catch the wild stuff. I too use blue painters tape for masking.

I used FastPaul's technique of using aluminum flashing... made one for the front wheel(s) and one for the rear... If you're careful where you aim the can for overspray, you don't have to tape or anything... Keep 'em hanging on the wall along with my collection of pulleys, belts and stuff...

I have used grease, vaseline, and brake fluid. Brake fluid is especially good on tires, as the fluid lubricates the rubber while you are painting! Masking in any way also works, but I usually break tires down, and paint the entire wheel, inside, outside, and what is in between. Blue masking tape is about the best I have seen for delicate decals.

I use painter's masking tape (blue stuff) like you use for masking woodwork and doors and so on. Takes me about five minutes to mask a wheel, then I lay wheel on covered picnic table and have at it.

Let the air out of the tires push the bead down and put cardboard in between the the rim and tire after done just pump the tire up.easy and cheep.Bob