Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dallenx

Onan filters

dallenx
I just read all the previous messages trying to find a replacement for my 620's air filter. The local NAPA store says they can get me the OEM replacement for $60, ouch. I then call the local Simplicity dealer and they can not find a listing for the filter. I then call the local (orange) tractor dealer that has helped me get parts before, they can not find the filter. Anyway, it appears that Baldwin makes a PA2347 filter and I asked NAPA to find it. They call the Baldwin tech line and the guy says they do make it but it's not in their computer and he has no price. He may have to order it from the factory. This whole thing got me to thinking about parts availability. Here's the question. If we tractor owners buy 200 air filters per year from 20 different companies, what's to say that these companies won't stop making their filters because it's not economical for one company to make 10 filters? If these companies decide to stop production, where will that put us? Should this club ask its members to agree on two or three different suppliers and then we try to only buy from them? Can we use our size to secure future parts?

JeffNemes
Or you could try a group purchase where a large prepaid order is placed with volume pricing. Find out how many potential buyers, shop around for the best price quote based on potential orders, when all funds are collected order is placed. Distribution is another matter - all volunteers step forward!

JeffG
I now only use Baldwin filters for my tractors. Quality, price and availability were the main factors for my choice. For the AC 616,620,720 and Simp. 4040,4041,9020 the following Baldwin filters can be used: Oil Filter ..... #B243 Air Filter ..... #PA2347 Hydro. Filter .. #B163 Fuel Filter .... #BF1150 Just my opinion; but you can buy 3 Baldwin air filters and have some change left over, compared to the cost of 1 Onan air filter. Jeff

Did you know K&N will custom manufacture a washable & re-usable air filter if you supply them with a new filter to copy? K&N filters are commonly used on racing engines used on dirt, such as sprint cars.

swood
check with a welding supply company in your area. The welders and generators the lease are usally an onan engine. I paid 38.00 for a brand new onan filter for my 620.I got it from Haun welding in Syracuse, New york, they distribute to shops for the welders. It does make a HUGE difference in the performance. you can wash the filters but they need to be dried COMPLETELY before they can be used. other wise if any part of the paper is wet or damp they will tear from the pressure.

Sandy_Lake_Imp
When I talked to K & N some time ago about an air filter for the Kohler OHC on my new Sovereign they said they didn't make one and didn't mention the possibility of doing a custom filter. Maybe I need to check back with them to see if they have decided to make one for the Kohler OHC's. Wouldn't the cost of a custom filter be prohibitive?? Roy