Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Real Horsepower from BLT Maybe ?

Al

Hi, Bob Tiarks sent me some pics of some big engines they have at their shop. This stuff is like a magnet to me. Sorry I don't have the time to drive up and look at them. Asked him to post the pics and the details. Would make a fearsome 720. Hope he will. Al Eden

Al, they are MTU/Detroit Diesel assembled for now at Detroit. http://www.mtu-friedrichshafen.com/en/frameset/f_prdi.htm Three engines are destined for a motor yacht. 16 cylinder engines around 3800HP 2100 RPM, common rail injection, injector pressure around 28,000 psi. Engines won't fire until fuel press hits 23,000 psi. As you see them they weigh about 19,000 lbs. The marine gears not shown weigh another 6000 lbs The list price will probably use up all six figures. The engines are so tall that we couldn't get them thru our shipping/recieving door. Also note the forklift has a sliding steering weight to to keep the steer wheels in ground contact.

quote:
Originally posted by richp
If you look up the word TORQUE in the dictionary, it says see that motor.
6900-8000 ft lbs @ 1500 RPM 3967 CID 60.46 Litres

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
quote:
Originally posted by richp
If you look up the word TORQUE in the dictionary, it says see that motor.
6900-8000 ft lbs @ 1500 RPM 3967 CID 60.46 Litres
Can you say puller:D:D:D imagine having 12 stacks sticking out of the hood:D Elon

Reminds me of Jessie James and the Monster Garage when he took a semi diesel and made a trike out of it. Thing was ALL Engine!! I'm thinking someone with way too much money and play time on their hands is going to have one heck of a yacht.

My dad took me to a power generating station that had two six cylinder diesel engines in it. The clyinders were a 36 inch bore and a 36 inch stroke. They ran at 225 RPM. If I remember corectly the used compresed air to start. The air went in a cylinder that was just past TDC on a compression stroke. When it was time to add oil, it was a 55 gallon drum at a time. Don't remember the HP figures. Ken

That is one of the neatest looking engines i have ever seen. That thing is Huge and would have plenty of Torq to be in anything.Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Not quite as much horsepower as Bob's....mabye a better candidate for a Simplicity...

This is a MEP 12 1 megawatt unit built by MC 2 in Dallas TX, commonly used by the military for field contingency power for a large camp/base. Powered by a 2000 hp KT series V-12 Cummins she pulls about 60 gal/hr fuel under max load. I changed the cylinder heads out on this one after 10,000 hrs-bottom end was still tight.

Left side view of another like unit....note the multiple oil filters.

And a right side view....note dual 36V starters.

And I had to get a pic of me and the startup smoke....bet I won't win any awards for enviromental stewardship. Brent

quote:
Originally posted by B.Ikard
Not quite as much horsepower as Bob's....mabye a better candidate for a Simplicity... And I had to get a pic of me and the startup smoke....bet I won't win any awards for enviromental stewardship. Brent
That's just a tad of smoke while turbos spool up. You don't want to see my stuff under the same situation.:D:D:D

Hi, A year ago I worked on a V12 Cummins that was on a Gen Set in a semi trailer. the radiator nearly filled the back of the trailer and the front of the trailer was cut open about 5 x 8' to let the air out. I went in and checked the alternator. It was like working in a tornado. The valve covers were about chin high. It provided the power for electric motors to run a rock crushing unit, the screening unit, and the conveyers. We shut it down and I jerked the alt off and took it with me. We fixed it and when I took it back I put it on running, and we shut it down long enough to put the belt on. I am shure it is not as large as the above unit, but there is something awsome when you stand next to these units and feel the vibration from the raw power and feel the roar that is intoxicating. That is when Bob sent me these pics I wanted him to share them. Thanks Bob and Brent. Love this stuff. Al Eden

A-C built a 12 cylinder diesel that developed 43,200HP at 126 rpm Entire engine weighed 1160 tons, Bedplate 80ft long and 80tons. Three were built.