Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Filters and fluids for 7117 hydraulic system

KevinD

I have just purchased a Simplicity 7117 tractor. Model no. 1690571. I have been reading old messages about changing the fluids and filters. I do not see any filters on this tractor. Should there be any on this model? If so where would they be located? Can anyone tell me what type of oil goes into the various devices such as transmission or hydro unit? I have ordered manuals form Simplicity, but they have not arrived yet and I would like to try it out this weekend. Any answers would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The hydro-trans filter is either located 1)on the rear left-hand side of the transmission near the left-hand rear tire or 2)between the two transmission sideplates just forward of the transmission accessed from underneath. The filters are different for the two applications. If your filter is mounted on the left-hand side of the transmissionas described in 1) above, the Simplicity part no. is 1709322.

As Bill said, on the early models the hydro filter was underneath the tractor. That filter is a little bit longer and the part number is 1650954. This series came out about 1979. Around 1982 they changed to the new style hydro with the filter on the upper side of the transmission near the left rear wheel. If you have hydraulic lift it operates off of the hydro. Changing the fluid isnt too bad but there is a procedure to follow, there is a air bleed valve that you need to hold open to make sure all of the old oil drains out. Refilling through the small tube is kind of a pain also. Some people recomend the official Simplicity fluid but I go to farm and fleet and buy the tractor "hy-tran" fluid. I figure if its good enough for a new 200 horse, $100,000 John Deere farm tractor, it must be good enough for my 20 year old, 16 horse garden tractor.