Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

to rebuild or not

PETE_W

I have 2 briggs motors (1 - 760241, 1 - 6609141) Both need to be rebuild, rings, gasket set, 1 needs a carb, both need exhaust valves. I can do the work BUT what will all the parts cost? I found a briggs last summer for $125.00 no smoke, runs good I put it in a landlord 2010. I have a Squire 9 in my shop that needs a motor before spring should I shop for a motor or parts. thanks Pete!

If you take care in disassembly, the only gasket you'll need is a pan gasket, about 5 bucks. Rings, depending on the mood you are in, could be had in the $20 range to the $60 range. A carb, find one in a junkyard, $30, and a needle, seat, likely a float, another $10 or so. Valves and initial grinding, reworking the seats, about $20. New motor? IF it is available, I have no idea, because I rebuild until it simply can't be rebuilt anymore, then go find a used one, and rebuild it, too. Any of you in shops that charge more, I apologize, as my costs are a guess, especially for the valve seats. I do my own, so I have no idea how much it costs.

Pete, those don't sound like the #'s for a cast iron horizontal. What kind of engines are these? I am rebuilding a 9hp Briggs Model 23D and I will have about $132 in parts into it. That is for a new undersized rod ($46.00), new .20 OS piston ($62.00), gasket set ($16.80) and a few misc small parts. The machining cost me $35.00 plus a trade of a cub brinly hitch. It sounds like your engines need less than this one did. New valves for CI models are around $20 last I checked.

Pete, the numbers you listed at first were just the code#'s which are unique to each engine for date identification purposes. Your model # is 243431 (10hp) My 23D is an earlier engine from before briggs went to the six digit model #s. Engines had a type and serial # for identification at that time. Don't worry your not missing any letters.