Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Too cold for tractoring or human....

Glacier

The forcasted weather for tonight is a mere -65 degrees below zero with the wind chill factor. Worked outside for a while today, it was only -50 with the wind, didn't stay out there very long, was kinda hard to breath with the wind whipping and the cold temp. Will be in the house tonight curled up on the couch watching the truck race.

quote:
Originally posted by Glacier
The forcasted weather for tonight is a mere -65 degrees below zero with the wind chill factor. Worked outside for a while today, it was only -50 with the wind, didn't stay out there very long, was kinda hard to breath with the wind whipping and the cold temp. Will be in the house tonight curled up on the couch watching the truck race.
I grew up on the east end of the Iron Range and I don't miss those temperatures at all. When the temps got down in the -40 deg range and colder (without windchill), you'd spend all day getting vehicles started. Of course you'd usually wait until it warmed up to -20 deg, but even then, the alternators and belts would scream, the engines would knock until you got some oil up to the lifters, and if you had a manual transmission, letting out the clutch in neutral was enough to kill the engine. Try and stay warm.

I was watching a special about Antarctic explorers. They said sometimes it would get so cold that if you breathe through your mouth....your teeth would crack. Eeek. Sounds like what y'all have there!

Why I love syn oil, gear lube, grease and power stearing fluid:D:D Get rid of them noises at -70 for the most part. Power steering pump still squaks, fact I can guess within 5 degrees what the temp is by how loud it squaks on a 75 Dodge pick-up.:)

My ole Dodge ain't got no gismo's on it, carb, spark plugs, wires distributor and a battery. KISS. to the first degree. Likely why it can handle the cold. Ain't never been toed home.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
fact I can guess within 5 degrees what the temp is by how loud it squaks on a 75 Dodge pick-up.:)
Way too many questions come to mind.....Like......WHY???WOULD YOU WANT TO???