Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Freebies are always good...

ZippoVarga

Wrong colors but they were free. First up is a 16hp I/C Briggs twin of the 1984 vintage. Bench ran it last night for about 20 minutes and it ran great. It also came with an electric clutch which works too!! [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/BS16HP.jpg[/img] Now to figure out what to do with it.....Thinking about a gas powered compressor. What do ya think? [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/BS16HP2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/BS16HP3.jpg[/img] This is a 1990 Lawn-Boy that fell victim to a tree during the ice storm. A little bangin out the hood and replacing the blown 12hp with a donor engine and it's all ready to go. I don't usually brag on anything but Simplicities but this thing is SOLID. Built by Outboard Marine just like the push mowers. My Mother adopted this as her new mower so that means I can get rid of the MTD (finally). [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/LawnBoy.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/LawnBoy1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/LawnBoy2.jpg[/img] Now.....even though I can now rid my self of my Mothers old MTD another one dropped in my lap by way of a horse of a different color. It's a mid 90's White that found it's way here in pieces.Only thing I want from it is the 11.5HP Briggs I/C for my broadmoor. [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/White by MTD.jpg[/img] Now.....I know none of these freebies have anything to do with Simplicities or AC's so i offer you these two serene pictures of my pond to relax you while you think of nasty things to say to me for posting other than Simps or AC's..;):D^ [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/Pond.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/winterpond.jpg[/img] Three other freebies not pictured are a JD 111 basket case a 1970 Penncraft by MTD with a 8hp verticle shaft Briggs and a sight unseen Wards that turned out to be a 5hp rear engine from the MTD fame. The way I see it, once these are all gone i should have plenty of play $ to get a B-10 i've had my eye on in a neighboring town. Never turn down free!! Disclaimer.....This is in no way an advertisement of items for sale. Just felt like posting some pictures of freebie stuff. :D Sean aka Zippo

Freebies are always good! I have put an add in the yahoo freecycle for genesee county, 3 times in the last month without a reply. I put one in this morning before work that read, Wanted: nonrunning tractor, snowblower, mower and such. Please help my wife out. I need something to play with in the garage so I don't drive my wife nuts. Thanks I received 3 e-mails tonoight for freebies, One said: I live in Mayville and I have a lawn tractor that the motor works but not the deck (I can't remember why now) I bought it from TSC..it has been sitting in my barn for a couple of years. I'd be glad to give it to you! It will be here so you can wait if you like until you might be in the area.:D Two said: Hi We have what your looking for, we have a riding lawnmower that is not running it will need to be drug out of the shed that we want to tear down this spring, I dont know what else we have in the shed, but I know my hubby wants it all out (Maybe I should take the big trailer?:D:D:D) Three said: I have a "68 or "69 rider. Is Belt driven, has deck. Has Tecumseh motor. Is bigger than a normal rider lawnmower. My other-half thought he would someday be able to mess with it, but hasn't happened. He would like to get it out of his hair. Sat around for a long time and was given to us. That person told us he just didn't have time for it and now we don't have time for it. Sounds like you do. Can you give this lonely tractor a good home? (Sure I can):D I would say this has been a good birthday after all. And yes i'm still 12 and jumping up and down yelling I refuse to grow up!!!:D Almost forgot. I will post pics as I get them home.

Paul, here's a closer lookieloo at the Horse, since i've already broken most of the rules with this post....lol. Thinking I like Elon's idea but the only verticle machine I have is the Horse. And I DID measure and that twin WILL fit in it...lol. Then I can use the 9hp briggs for the compressor. But I AM hoping for a large frame AC or Simp and if that comes to pass then that twin will go there as long as the large frame isnt worthy of a restore. ;) Found a pic of the Penncraft I mentioned earlier so here's a couple pics of it as well. [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/pencraft1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/pencraft.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/wh2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/wh4.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/zippovarga/wh3.jpg[/img]

The white looks exactly like the one I got for free .The only thing I saved was a good 12hp. wheels and transmision. I always say best stuff is free stuff.

Nice tractors, can't beat the price. The old Lawn Boy push mowers were great machines. My uncle still has one he uses, bought new in 1964!

Free does cause colorblindness in me at times. Parts is parts. Free also brings the occasional unwanted critter who was happy in his 4 wheel farmhouse where it was. Nice deal on your free stuff Sean, especially the engine. Incidentally , the White in the picture is identical to the ones I worked on with the carb problems in the other post. The WH looks great!

quote:
Nice Horse! I believe your Lawnboy was actually manufactured by Gilson. Can't beat the price!
Checked on that when I got it home. It's made by outboard marine. Thought it may have been an out sourced deal my self but it's not. There are components but a lawn-boy rep assured me it's THEIR tractor and not a knock off made by another manufacturer. Gotta take a man at his word unless i can disprove him. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Jovee
Incidentally , the White in the picture is identical to the ones I worked on with the carb problems in the other post. The WH looks great!
Jovee, This white had the same carb problem. 2parts gas to one part oil in the crank case. Switched out the carb with one I had on the shelf that was a known good carb then tore the original one apart to find sediment in the bowl about 1/4 inch thick. Rebuilt it and it's waiting for the next tempermental carb to come along. In line shut off valves are our friends with these vertical shaft briggs IMHO.^^

The LawnBoy rep may be partially correct. I think when that tractor was made Lawn Boy owned the Gilson company. Now they are both owned by Toro. The tractor was not really a Lawn Boy design. It is basically a Gilson. Here are some pics of Gilsons similar to the Lawn Boy:

Gilson also manufactured some of the Ford lawn tractors. Here is one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-LT-16-Lawn-Tractor-16-Hp-Briggs-and-Straton_W0QQitemZ7744204603QQcategoryZ50377QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem It looks like the Lawn Boy version used the ford style hood.

Oh Kewl!! Learn something new every day!! Well....at least I now know that I can broaden my sights to find a hood that's not all beat up with out having to find a lawn-boy persay. Thanks Chris!!! Always a pleasure to learn on this sight and it's truely amazing how many diverse simp AC owners there are here!! Those two do look VERY similar to this one I have here. Do those have a point of origin tag riveted to the left frame member by the clutch/brake pedal? I think I see one on the second tractor. Where does it say it was built? Maybe the same place? Would be great to find other resources for parts for this 16 year old since it's apparently here to stay for a while. Thanks again Chris!! Sean aka Zippo

Elon, I keep coming back to your post on your wife's puller. I love how that thing looks. My back wont allow me to get in competition but it sure would be an interesting conversation piece at the shows!! Sean aka Zippo

Thanks Chris! I'm looking more towards a used/useable hood instead of new sheet metal. I priced a deck skin for another tractor from a dealer and nearly had to be carried out on a stretcher. I'm in no hurry....lol. I'm just thrifty. I have 9 tractors, paid for one of them. Three vehicles and paid for one....you get the picture. I have all the time in the world to happen accross one and untill then this battered up hood will suffice. Fortunately when the tree fell on it nothing else was damaged but the hood. I will check my local bone yards for hoods in the near future but first I have a simp to re-power and since that's my primary tractor it takes priority. Thanks again for the suggestion. Sean aka Zippo