Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Piston, where to buy.

Boney

Where do you guys get your pistons ? I am looking into the cost of a new piston and am looking for a piston gasket kit if they are available for a 725. thnx for any help

I would have to say your best bet is to go to a Briggs dealer. Mite be a bit more $, but a lot easier unless you know the part # and you find one on Ebay. Elon

I have a new piston, with rings on my shelf, 294676. It is missing one piston retainer. Pins were sold seperatley back then. PM me with E-mail address and I'll send you a picture or two.

If you need .10, .20. or .30 oversized they should still be availble from Briggs. I bought a piston for my 23D (same piston as on a 19) and it was about $62.

Is there such a thing as a piston and gasket kit. If I am going through the trouble of doing the piston I would like to do all the other things I should, some of the gaskets are leaking oil thnx

There are aftermarket rebuild kits for some of the more popular models of engines but not for the old CI briggs. You can buy a gasket set from briggs which includes all the gaskets used on that engine, it should be around $15. Definitely if you are replacing a piston, you are tearing it down enough to need to replace your gaskets. Are you having anything done to the cylinder? Do you have a parts manual for your engine? If not I think BLT may have one for that engine, I got one from him for my model 23D.

Chris, I was going to wait to see how bad the cylinder is before I deciede what to do...Is this the proper way to do it? This is my first attempt at this kind of thing. I emailed Briggs and Stratton asking for any info on this motor they may have,,,havent heard from them yet. Its only been a couple of days. thnx

Boney, Briggs will likely tell you they have no PDF manuals for that engine. They do have a service manual for the early type engines, it may be helpful. They sell it on their website or you can probably get it from any briggs dealer. Before you buy any parts, dissassemble the engine and inspect the cylinder bore and the crankpin. Measure these before you buy any parts. Sometimes they don't need to be bored and you could possibly get by with putting in a new wrist pin and rings.

Chris, thnx for the info, I will get the manual as you and others have suggestted and take it apart from there. Thnx all for the help