Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hub Removal

dbf

Is a slide hammer the easiest way to remove the left rear wheel hub on my 2110? I wanted to get a head start and begin breaking the trans down, but the little 2 prong puller I have isn't cutting the mustard. Any BTDT with success using any other gear than a slide? I don't have one of those in my tool box!! Thanks in advance.

Never have that much trouble with one but I'd say soak it in airokroil for a day or so, make sure the set screws are out then put a pipe ove3r the axle and beat it on a little more til it moves just to break the rust, you should have a larger hammer as a 'dead head' on the right side axle. Once you get it broke loose, clean the rust and burrs off the axle and I'd think it should pull. I have a 3 arm puller I use but it's not all that big.

I soaked the hub as best I could with PB Blaster before I came in last night. The little 2 arm puller I have is good for smaller pullies and such, but certainly not for a hub. Once I applied enough torque to it, it started to bend and I finaly broke one of the bolts that secures the arms to the puller! I was able to pull the key out by soaking in Blaster and gently tapping in and out with a brass drift. I thought if I got that out, it would be less resistance to pull against. The only heat I have is propane at the moment....my torches are unservicable due to a stupid mistake by a buddy of mine. I couldn't get the work hot enough for the heat to work with me. I'll hunt around this week and see what the local automotive supply shop has for this application. I'm certain a 3 arm puller would serve this purpose better. I thanks you all for the suggestions.

Make sure you don't have a broken set screw. When I did my B-1 I took the set screws out but no matter what I did I coulden't get the hub to move,I finally hit it with a big hammer and broke it in two,What I found was one of the set screws was broken in half and was still holding the hub on,so take a closer look and make sure the end of the set sccews aren't still in the hole,a new hub Is $92 at the dealer. I was lucky and one of our fine club members sold me one at a fractoin of the cost of a new one,just one more thing about how great this site is!! Good luck ps The set screw in key hole is flat on the end the other one should have a rounded end,Thats what I missed when I took mine apart both of my set screws were flat,the rounded peice was still in the hub

The hub is cast iron. Use the puller gently!! And, per FastPaul & MPH, make sure the set screws are completely removed. Broke the hub on my B-1 with a 3-arm puller because the tip of the pointed set screw was broken off inside the hub and axle. Drilled it out but did not get it all. :(

I'll check the set screws, that's for sure. Because they came out so easy, I never even thought about the tip breaking off and staaying in the hole. Thanks again gents,

Well Paul, you were right. The set screw with the pointed tip was broken. I've tried just about every drill bit I have and still can not get the broken one out in it's ntirety. I'll have to keep picking away at it. A friend of mine has a drill doctor...maybe I'll borrow that to keep the bits sharp. Man are those set screws tough!! Am I going about this all wrong?? Should I remove the right hub instead of the left?? Dan

Dan, These are the pullers that I use in my farm shop, probably overkill for most jobs but they almost never slip or fail to pull what they are put on...

Here is a link to their site. http://www.posilock.com/Product/product_intro.htm Only know one guy that was able to tear these things up....:D

I saw a web site somewhere that sold left hand twist dril bits, that would help remove a setscrew, since it would loosen as it drilled. I just don't remember where I saw them.

quote:
Originally posted by GWGAllisfan
I saw a web site somewhere that sold left hand twist dril bits, that would help remove a setscrew, since it would loosen as it drilled. I just don't remember where I saw them.
I have a whole drawer full of left and right twist bits. That set screw shaved the edge off of all of them!! Yah, left twist bits are great when trying to extract broken manifold studs..I've backed numerous broken studs out with the manifold still on the vehicle. Those are some serious pullers. I had a smaller version, about 2/3rds the size of those. Once when moving, a box fell off the back of my truck and my buddy drove over it with his! I lost a number of odds and ends that day...1/2 inch drill and the puller where the biggies. Dan

My local NAPA has a shop in the rear and the mech. there has a regular hub puller, but I still had to get the smoke wrench out and heat it up good. The puller looks like a over sized steering wheel puller.