Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

66 Landlord Restoration( Going together)

FastPaul

Got the LL ripped apart this morning ,Cleaned up the shop first and then stayed organized by putting every tool back as I used them,Sound funny but it makes things go much quicker when your not looking or tripping over tools ,It's nice to work on something thats cleen too it really pay's off to preasure wash first.

There she is all apart Now comes the time cosumming part of making her new again

She didden,t look so good here,it,s amazing what a little paint an a sos pad will do!

Had a productive day of sanding priming and painting , Had to do some snowblowing too,We got about 3" of the fluffy stuff today,Now I'm tired Here's some pics. of a little more progress!! Check out the grill it came out mint!!

Well another busy day,got almost everything painted except the rear end and the starter/gen. Should start to go back together soon ,still haven't figured what to do about the BGB yet There's a couple on ebay I bid on ,so I'll se what happens!

The new rear ags showed today so that got me busy painting again,And your right Dave I've been wondering this afternoon what I did to my finger today because it's sore, but it didden,t dawn on me until I read your post ,My wife got a good laugh out of that!!Anyway ,she's all painted ,I'll start putting her back together soon !

I wasn't real happy with the shine of the can paint so I,m gong to C/C all the big parts I wet sanded w/ 1500 Looks awesome now ,looks wet even after it's dry

Got some decals put on today and placed it together to see how she's gona look, Sweeeeeeeeet!!!:D:D:D Just waiting on the bgb & the seat to show up hopefully this week!

Well I finally got all the peices to the puzzle,Bgb,New seat,New amp.gauge and new belts,got a couple of hours into it tonight. Planing on having her back on her wheels this weekend!:D:D:D

Yes it did but I got original rear end with it but I don't know whats wrong with it,Some thing I might look into I did get the date off the original rearend 66 the Allis rear end is a 64

Now see, if you didnt waste all that time putting tools back, that tractor would have been finished by now;). I envy anyone with a work area like that. Actually, I envy anyone with a garage [:0]:D

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
quote:
"There she is all apart Now comes the time cosumming part of making her new again"
Not the way you do it sir!!
Then what is the way yo do it sir!! ?

Paul, I believe comet66 is refering to your comment "time consuming" meaning that you can rebuild a tractor in a couple of weeks where as it takes most of us months to do a rebuild. Its a complement from him, not a poke at how you work. Randy

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
quote:
"There she is all apart Now comes the time cosumming part of making her new again"
Not the way you do it sir!!
Sorry Comet 66 I must be dislexic or something I read your comet wrong what a dumb *** I am

Thanks Randy. I should have made that a little clearer, and not such a brief statement.:IB) It was definately referenced to the speed, and excelent quality of your work!!! You seem to be able to get the job done while I'm still trying to figure out where to start. It was meant as a compliment:)

quote:
Originally posted by GWGAllisfan
I've spent more time trying to get one started than it takes you to completely restore one:)
I can relate to that! :D Elon

There has been alot of discussion on this site regarding paint, but the work I see here is proof of a good paint job. Paul, can you let us know what type of paint you are using? I am in the process or restoring a Simplicity 728 and would like to hear about what you are using on this. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by RipRat
There has been alot of discussion on this site regarding paint, but the work I see here is proof of a good paint job. Paul, can you let us know what type of paint you are using? I am in the process or restoring a Simplicity 728 and would like to hear about what you are using on this. Thanks!
Hi Ray welcome to the club! I started out trying some Aliss Chalmers Orange at Ace hardware,I didden't like the color and it didden't cover well and took a long tim to dry,I found some Dupli.Color at AutoZone for 5 bucks a can ,I primed everything first This paint works awesome it has a lot of color in it ,I preheat the pant to about 80/85 under warm water and put the peices ready for paint it front of the heater for a while before I paint them,I can put as many coats as I want to on and it dosen't run,As you can see it comes out nice and smooth and shiny, I'll use 12 can of orange and about5 cans of primer ann 4 cans of cream

Same here with the paint question. Also, are you using a hardener in the paint? I used spray cans on my 64 LL (first one I ever did) and was not happy at all because it seems to chip very easily. Ok, you snuck your answer in while I was typing. Maybe its just that you're better at it than I am because yours looks a lot nicer than mine! I used the same orange, but never found the cream, what did you use for that? How long do you wait between coats of paint?