Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Magnatron ignition

Robert Kehoe

I am re-building my 10 hp briggs off my 2010 landlord and asked the parts man about electronic ignition and he sold me a magnatron , but i saw on here you might need to re-polarize the fly wheel.

That's correct. Although I've never done it myself, I here that if you'll package and ship it to briggs they will re-polarize it for free. I'm sure others who have had this done will chime in here and crrect me if I'm wrong.

Robert ABSOLUTELY you will either need to repolorize the flywheel, or put back on a conventional set of points and a new coil. Last year or the year before I started a thread on this topic. If you try to use the flywheel as is, you will have problems with the engine being out of time and it wont run well if at all. Amother thing about the magnetron ignition, is that if your engine uses a SG the SG will have to spin the engine over faster in order to create an adequate spark to start the engine. Personally I had the magnetron and got rid of it after about 2-weeks of pulling out my hair. I bought a new set of points and got a used coil, and the engine starts like a champ now.

I've never had a magnetron on a cast iron Briggs that worked properly. All ran rough, like they were out of timing. Probably due to polarization.

If you just want to get rid of the points you can use an electronic trigger instead. http://cgi.ebay.com/MEGA-FIRE-IGNITION-MODULE-FOR-MOWERS-TRIMMERS-ETC_W0QQitemZ7744770097QQcategoryZ71272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My experiences with the magnetron coil on these motor have been nothing but bad. New points coils are the same price, though you want to make sure the plug wire is long enough. (I ended up buying a Stens one since the Briggs ones I was offered by the parts guy had real short plug wire. Search in the word magnetron, or repolarize and you'll get massive amounts of information here.