Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

23D specs

MrSteele

Time for inventiveness on the Landlord! Or, perhaps Rocket science, or specialty engineering. Does anyone know the stroke of the 23D? Does anyone know where I might find a sleeve for a 23D? I have a ZZ block, also a 3.000" bore, that has the holes in the right places for S/G bracket and the front brace on the grille. The engine has barely been used, but has a broken rod. If the stroke is the same, I am considering removing the innards of the 23D, and putting them into the ZZ. I'll have to change flywheels and mags to 23D, but that appears as though it will work, as well. But, I was looking at that possibility with a flashlight, so I am not too certain. With exception to the fact that the jug on the ZZ is removable, there will be little other difference. I would rather rebuild the 23D, however, so if anyone could help on the first couple of questions on this post, I would appreciate it.

I know there is no sleeve in the engine, but am wondering if there might be a source for a sleeve tht might work. Mine is already overbored to a standard of some sort, to 3.050. The rings have a gap of about 0.127. I can turn the engine on the end of the shaft, with the transmission engaged, and move the tractor. There was basically no compression, yet the engine ran, just used a LOT of 50wt oil!

A good machine shop should have no trouble finding everything you need to bring the engine back to standard. If you cannot get it sleeved it may be easier to find another 23D which either runs better or is more rebuildable. I don't know about the ZZ.