Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Restored to original or favorite color?

AC808

I usually try to get it close to original color but as most of my paint jobs are spray can ones sometimes you have to just get it close. I used old cat yellow on my B-10 narrow front and it looks pretty close. I have a B-1 and a B-12 that look decent in the original paint and I have decided to leave them that way. On my allisgator project since I'm doing a bunch of modifications to it I'm going to change the color and paint it allis orange.

I like to get them close to original color as well..However I have thought about making a 64-66 Landlord that I used to have into a Allis by changing the color..My reason for those thoughts was that decals for the A/C was ready made to order from Wells Implements and I would have had to make the ones for the Simplicity..But then I learned that there was other differences that I would have had to change such as the grille ect.

I also Try and paint as close as possible, I usually trun away from a tractor that has been painted the wrong color... Unless it's gonna be a parts donor...

I personally find nothing wrong with custom colors, other than trying to make it look like another mfg. Keep most of your fleet original, but eneryone needs one or two to play with. :D8D8D Here are a couple of pics I saved from somewhere on the net, checked the archives here but couldn't locate them to give proper credit. Anyway, I think it looks pretty nice!

Oops! Just reread your original post and it was specifically the B series you were inquiring about. Those I would try to keep original. :IB)

Jay, It really depends on personal choice and budget. Is it going to be a work tractor or a showpiece? I was going for showpiece with my early B-10 and I had paint for it computer matched at an auto parts store. It is from PPG's omni line. It should be much closer than old cat yellow. I have a hood painted with old cat yellow and in some light the cat paint looks close but in other lighting it looks way too dark. I thought about buying a can for touch ups on my work tractor but I decided at $5 per can it wasn't worth having spots stand out like a sore thumb. The auto paint should also be much higher quality, unfortunately its not cheap, but if you've painted a car and have some of the equipment and supplies lying around its really not that bad. I think it was under $20 per quart. The real expense in auto paint is the thinner and hardener.

My opinion is to paint it whatever color you like. Paint is after all just a coating to prevent corrosion. I would think even the most die hard would agree that it is more important to preserve the tin.

I have asked the same question and am still pondering. I will definitely do something fairly outlandish, but after having been here on this site for 3 months.....the primary color will be one of the original colors (Orange, yellow or the cream). That could change though by the time I actually get around to painting. :) I gotta say that those chrome wheels do look great. I am actively hunting someone to do some chrome work in our area here in Wisconsin. I have found a couple places, but they are sooooo expensive. Sure wish I could find an "up-and-comer" or apprentice. I am also looking for an "up-and-coming" painter - someone who might want some practice with a new technique. But all I keep finding are guys that do Harleys. That is overkill. I want my tractors to look nice and 'cool', but let's be real, they will never be show tractors....rather just work tractors that look decent! But how in the heck do you shop for semi skilled painter by saying that the end product doesn't have to be perfect? Almost impossible! :) Will you be doing yours yourself? Erik

Eric you do what some of us have done. You go to where ever, buy a couple of rattle cans of paint, try it out on something to see if you can handle the fine art of spraying from an aerosol can. Because a lot of tractors shown here have been painted this way and the results have been pretty good.

Jay, I would say its a matter of choice.I turned my gold color Montgomery Wards Squire 9 into a yellow A/C B10 only because of my color preference.I had this professionally painted but the other 4 I restored were done with spray cans.The B 10 has never been used,the other ones do all the work.