Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What should I ask?

roadrunner23232000

I've been ridin by this old tractor sitting in a barn for the past month. It kinda looks like this http://simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1969/3112.htm Although all I can see is the rear of the tractor. But how do I go about askin about it,should I leave a note or maybe knock on the door? Thanks Josh

I have 9 tractors. Paid for one and inquired about the other 8 and got them for free. ASK!!!!! If it's worth something to you then pay for it. If not, then wait a while and ask again. The way I've gotten so many free tractors is I keep asking and asking and asking untill they're tired of me asking and finally just give it to me....lol. Not really, only did that with one. But seriously. Of the 8 I got for free I probably inquired about 30 I have seen. Smilin sam and another member who doesnt immediately come to mind recently aquired tractors by stopping and asking. Most people with these old tractors replace them with later models and leave the old one's to rust away. At least in my experience. Sean aka Zippo

Believe it or not some people haven't a clue on how to get rid of things. I am going to get an older Roper, I hope, later this spring with a Briggs 14 or 16 HP CI engine. The owner wants it off his property. I don't care so much for the Roper but another Briggs 32 CID engine in the inventory of stuff don't hurt. So in your case, just walk to the door and ring the bell and ask, " Do you want to get rid of your Simplicity? I have seen it parked for sometime." The worse that can happen is a no answer.

Like others have said, knock on the door and ask. Back in the mid 1980's, I stopped to look at a John Deere a guy was selling. Deck was rotted out from wet grass clumping, and engine smoked. Told the guy I was really looking for a Simplicity. Guess what...he said he had one but it was a real basket case, and he didn't know what it was worth. "Oh really," I said, "can I see it?" It turned out to be a 3410 with a good deck and busted con rod. The block didn't even have a hole in it. I offered to trade him my little International Cub...one with the timed overlapping mower blades. He thought I was nuts trading a running machine for a non-runner, but some $800 later for parts plus my free time gave me a machine I still use today! A childhood friend of mine beat me out in bragging rights though. He stopped one day to ask about a 1969 Dodge Charger that had been sitting in the weeds behind a guy's house. This was back before Dukes of Hazzard wiped out the breed. The guys reply? If you can get it out, you can have it! My buddy cut down half a dozen sapplings, pumped up the tires and had himself a real find. One in a million I'm sure, but it proves stuff like this happens. But only to guys (or gals) who walk up and inquire. Brian

I bought my T-10 Homelett from a dealer for $150.00. The first time I asked about it he wanted $500.00 for it. 2 months later when I went by to look at it again, found out the deck was rotted out and the carb. was bad, faded paint. He asked what I would gave for it I said $150.00, He said ok. Took it home, painted it. Found a rebuilt deck for $250.00 rebuilt the carb. and away we go.

I have picked up a number of tractors for free or a little of nothing just by stopping. I have also sold even more Simplicity and Oliver parts to those folk who didn't want to sell but didn't know where to get used parts and didn't want to pay for new.

TAKEN FROM THE ARCHIVES: HOW TO DO IT: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5695&SearchTerms=b112[/url] UPDATE TO HOW: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5733&SearchTerms=b112[/url] You never know what is in (the) store for you UNLESS you go in!