Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

New Experiment: Vickers to Sundstrand

SmilinSam
I find an extra Sundstrand tranny here with no control linkage. WHat I'm proposing to do is the remove the roll pin on the control shaft and remove the bracket from the shaft and replace it with the bracket of the Vickers control shaft. Then drop the Sundstrand transmission( Pump/motor/axle assembly) in place of the vickers and see if the Vickers controls will work on this arrangement. Anyone have any advice as how to drive the roll pins out of the control shafts without putting undue stress on the shaft and damaging anything?

Al
Sam, Those shafts are hardened, and should stand it without damage. But for insuranc you could take a piece of heavy bar stock and drill a clearance hole in the end for the roll pin and then you can use to "buck up" the shaft and absorb the shock when you pound on it. Remember probably not one in 1000 are protected this way. I am sure in regular R & R most places just "drive them out". Al Eden

stevenj
If I recall, the service instructions were very specific about not pounding directly on the shaft to remove the roll pin as it would cause damage. I believe the words they use are "Hammering here will damage Hydrostatic Unit" and they point to the input shaft, the output shaft, and the control shaft. If you are going to hammer out the roll pin, I'd have someone hold a heavy piece of iron on the opposite side and lean into the shaft before you strike the punch.

SmilinSam
I thought about permanently modifying a large C-clamp as a tool to do the job. Maybe weld a piece of heavy pipe on one end for the roll pin to go into as its pressed out and something to hold a rod to drive the pin out when the clamp is closed up.

GregB
If you grind a V into the end of the Pipe before you weld to base of C-clamp it would keep your new tool centered on the shaft. Drill a hole in the center of a piece of bar stock for a slightly smaller roll pin or chunk of slightly smaller drill, then press it into place. Weld or jb weld to pivoting head. I think this would work. GregB

maxtorman1234
I'm no totall sure what you plan to do but if i understand correctly you want to put the sunstrand transmission in place of a vickers, i have tried this before, and could not get the linkage to work right from the original vickers unit. The controls were backwards, and very limited. Im sure you can modify it a bit more than i could becuase of lack of tools, as for removing the pin, as long as you do not pound the shaft into the transmission, you should not damage it by pounding the pin straight out of the shaft.